 Events / 2203
Re: Brickfair is official....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:35:30 GMT

In lugnet.events, Todd Webb wrote:

I believe the South needs a large-scale Lego festival. How about it Texas? Perhaps they would like to take the Spring :)

Todd, www.BrickFair.com

Several members of TexLUG have talked about it and even made some preliminary inquiries, but there are several factors moving against us. There are several cities in Texas (and central southern US) that would be excellent for hosting an event, but only a handful (like Dallas) that are major airline hubs, nor do many have (useful) mass transit systems outside of busses.

Cities like Houston have two giant airports, but the airports aren’t centrally located (and are quite a distance away from each other), in fact just about everything in Houston is spread apart from everything else. Galveston has a GORGEOUS, giant convention center that overlooks the Gulf of Mexico, but Galveston has no major airport, and is 1 to 2 hours from anywhere in Houston.

I’ve also heard and read that cities like Houston have very strict and downright oppressive union rules that would really create problems for an event (I know nothing about Dallas or San Antonio on this front). Such as requiring all tables and equipment be set up by the union workers. Granted its hearsay as I have not confirmed it, but I have no reason to doubt the source. Hopefully if this is true, it’s only true for Houston.

And last but not least, and perhaps the final coffin nail (not really)... there are no LEGO stores in Texas or anywhere else in the south outside of the east coast (AFAIK). It seems to be, perhaps not a requirement, but a major deciding factor for quite a few people for them to attend a big event. Someone please correct me but I am unaware of any LEGO convention in the US that has taken place more than a half hour’s drive from a LEGO store.

But we can dream...

--Tony