 Castle / 14915
Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 00:05:37 GMT

In lugnet.castle, John P. Henderson writes:
I have often wondered how someone in his
day and age could have succeeded in such a thing with some inquisition
threatening his life.

For a real cloak-and-dagger story, go back 2-3 centuries to Siger of Brabant
and William of Ockham:

Siger successfully defied the eccesiastical authorities in Paris for years
until he was finally silenced in 1277. He got the dagger from his own
secretary about 1281. Siger was a radical in the development of logic and
science.

William Ockham, called "the First Protestant", was summoned by the Pope (the
one at Avignon) in 1329 and accused of heresy after four years of waiting.
Ockham fled the Pope's henchmen by night and reached safety in Bavaria.
(Think of this as the cloak part of this story.)

Ockham's chief trouble had to do with suggesting the Universe was older than
God, but he is remembered today for trying to pare down silly arguments.

-Erik