 Castle / 14889
  October 31st - Picture of the Day

Hello! For you October 31st is "Halloween". For me it is the day (485 years ago) when Dr Martin Luther nailed 95 theses against the practice of indulgence on the portal of the Schlosskirche (chateau church) in Wittenberg. This was a revolt against (...) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle) !

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) Wassssup (...) Great MOC! Looks cool. Didn't completely follow the thing about Dr Martin Luther, probably my fault though. Anyways, good job! Hasta La Vista, Sean P.S HLDI-wait, better not ask that : ) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

Hi Jojo, Really nice MOC! I wonder if you are the first to make Martin Luther in Lego. I like the peaked arch over the door, very original. And I too would rather remember Martin Luther on Oct 31 than Halloween. Good job! Josh (...) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

Beautiful image, Jojo. I love the detail in the archways. Is what we see there just a small part of a larger model? ...Oh, and the historical notes in your post are quite nice too! :) -Hendo (...) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

Hey Jojo, WOW! what a wonderful and unique MOC is it the outside of the Gothic stuff you sent earlier? Yaron "Webrain" Dori (...) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

Buenos tardes! (...) Thanks! (...) Well, maybe I tend to lecture sometimes... Bye Jojo (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

Hello! (...) Thanks! (...) Hehe, maybe... There's not much that once could build concerning to Luther. Except the Wartburg Castle, of course... (...) Thanks. I've to confess I was surprised myself when I got this idea. And I like the look, too. :-) (...) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) Just read this thread again. Not trying to nit-pick, but I think you may be mixing up your historical figures. The Martin Luther you rendered in Lego was (I believe) just Martin Luther, not a Doctor. The "Dr." probably seems to precede that (...) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

Hello! (...) Thanks! (...) Unfortunatelly not. I've only built this portal just for this one picture. This door would fit into my cathedral though. If only I had bricks and space enough to build the cathedral... (...) I'm pleased to hear that :-) (...) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

Hello! (...) Thanks! (...) It was not intended to be the door of my gothic cathedral(fragment). However, it would well fit into it. Bye Jojo (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) It is possible that the Doctor title comes from the theology degree Martin Luther had, as a monk. He was a scholar, if I am not mistaken? And back then, all Church scholars were referred to as "Doctors of the Church". BTW, MLK was a doctor of (...) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

Hello! (...) Nope. :-) The reformer Martin Luther was an Augustinian monk and also a Doctor of Theology at the University of Wittenberg. This is why he nailed his 95 theses on the church's door there because this door was used as a bill-board for (...) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) Ah. That I did not know. Thank you for correcting my oversight! :) I do find it interesting that the story of him nailing things to the door might be a myth or exaggeration. I have often wondered how someone in his day and age could have (...) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) According to Jojo (see previous postings in this thread), you are correct. (...) A quick search online reveals that MLK received a doctorate in systematic theology in 1955 from Boston University. -H. (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

Hello! (...) You are welcome :-) (...) Well, he had guardians in influential positions who supported his ideas and protected him from the Inquisition. Luther was "kidnapped" and brought to the Wartburg Castle (Robert Carney has built it recentley. (...) (22 years ago, 31-Oct-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) For a real cloak-and-dagger story, go back 2-3 centuries to Siger of Brabant and William of Ockham: Siger successfully defied the eccesiastical authorities in Paris for years until he was finally silenced in 1277. He got the dagger from his (...) (22 years ago, 1-Nov-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) Wasn't William of Ockham mentioned in Umberto Eco's novel "The name of the Rose"? The secondary action is around a theological debate about heretic beliefs (*), and I suppose he's one of debators. (In any case, that is one fine book for (...) (22 years ago, 1-Nov-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) Some of us remember this over halloween, which after all is just a corruption of hallow eve the eve of all saints day... (...) Beautiful. (...) I know many people/books that still consider this very real, after all the door was a message board (...) (22 years ago, 1-Nov-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) I don't think we're talking about the same issue, so, I challenge you to explain yourself in Lego (: I will also build something... JoJo started this.. yeah! (22 years ago, 1-Nov-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

<>Snip<> (...) <>Snip<> Actually, the schism in the Churches began many, many years earlier when the Patriarch of Rome (the Pope) and his western Catholic Church broke away from the rest of the Patriarchs of Europe, Northern Africa, and the Middle (...) (22 years ago, 1-Nov-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) Not at all. This is the sort of educational discussion I love here in .castle! There are some subjects I have studied and retained well, but your explanation of church history and architecture covers relatively new topics for me. Quite (...) (22 years ago, 1-Nov-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) :-S We are talkin about attempts to reform the Church, right? Luther started "the" Reform, which was good. Ockham had attempted "a" reform (no capital R), and failed. Savonarola attempted "a" reform, but this one was meant towards a more (...) (22 years ago, 1-Nov-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

Hello! (...) It took me a while to get the clue what "HLDITY" means :-) Well, two hours twice. First I built it wrong, than I built it right. Bye Jojo (22 years ago, 1-Nov-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) BTW, I've seen the door.* I didn't reallize that there was debate as I understood that it was common practice to tack things to the door. *Kind of a funny story. A few years ago I traveled through Europe with a college friend. By accident, my (...) (22 years ago, 2-Nov-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) Although I sent already a week ago, well not a black monk on the stake but rather Joan D'Arc (URL) (...) agree (...) P.S. Why you still havn't entered you're name on our 'Loyal to .castle?' list Yaron "Webrain" Dori (22 years ago, 2-Nov-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

(...) <snip snip> (...) hi some things i'd like to add. (also to the parallel post) most founders of protestant churches lived around 1500 (i don't mean founders of buildings). the romanesque era ended in most places befor at the very very most (...) (21 years ago, 20-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day

Hallo Thomas! (...) That's a very interesting article that you wrote there. Thanks! Tschuess Jojo (21 years ago, 21-Dec-02, to lugnet.castle)