 Castle / 14911
Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:18:29 GMT

Hello!

Just read this thread again. Not trying to nit-pick, but I think you may be
mixing up your historical figures.  The Martin Luther you rendered in Lego
was (I believe) just Martin Luther, not a Doctor.

Nope. :-)
The reformer Martin Luther was an Augustinian monk and also a Doctor of
Theology at the University of Wittenberg. This is why he nailed his 95
theses on the church's door there because this door was used as a bill-board
for the University and he wanted his theses to be publicly disputed. (Well,
as I said before, probably this symbolic act of nailing the theses on the
door never took place, but Luther wrote his theses for the purpose of
scholarly argument.)

The "Dr." probably seems
to precede that name in your mind because your are thinking of Dr. Martin
Luther King Jr., the civil rights leader during the 1960s who shared a
couple names with the Church reformer of centuries earlier...

Indeed, the two have a couple of things in common. Martin Luther King's
parents must have anticipated their son's subsequent life when they named him.

Bye
Jojo