 Castle / 14914
Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:43:44 GMT

Hello!

Ah.  That I did not know.  Thank you for correcting my oversight!  :)

You are welcome :-)

I have often wondered how someone in his
day and age could have succeeded in such a thing with some inquisition
threatening his life.

Well, he had guardians in influential positions who supported his ideas and
protected him from the Inquisition. Luther was "kidnapped" and brought to
the Wartburg Castle (Robert Carney has built it recentley. Unfortunatelly
his web site seems to be offline once more.) to save his life. He was
officially banned and could have been killed by anyone without threat of
punishment.

...To bring this back to .castle

Hey! I mentioned Wartburg _CASTLE_ above! :-)

I wonder what the Reformation did to
church architecture.

Well... During the following centuries after the Reformation began there
were more churches burned down than built up, I guess...
The next big style epochs were the Renaissance and the Baroque. I think
these styles were used by every denomination.

It seems that most Lego castle churches I have seen
reflect a Gothic or Pre-Gothic style.  Was this style used by all
denominations?  Or just Roman Catholic?  Did some post-Reformation
denominations use a different architecture style in their churches?

LEGO buildings might depend on the available brick molds. LEGO arches are
round, i.e. Romanesque. Gothic buildings are very very high and have pointed
arches. That's very difficult to build (and expensive. I know of what I speak).

Castle churches are mainly pre-Gothic for they were build in the early
Middle Ages when castles were built, too. Gothic churches are mainly
cathedrals in towns, built when the age of the castles was fading. ("Castle"
here means "fortress", not "chateau".)

Post-Reformation denominations often used and still use formerly catholic
churches. In the town where I live there are four medieval churches, and
three of them are protestant now with still the old catholic names.

BTW. Medieval churches often show a mix of several styles due to the long
time the edification took. Whilst they worked on the nave in Romanbesque
style the common style changed and they built the choir in Gothic style and
so on.
So just few cathedrals are strictly Gothic or Romanesque. Some churches were
never completed and some very late. The Cathedral of Collogne was finished
not before 1880(!). But they used medieval blueprint so it is relativelly
pure Gothic.

I'm speaking too much.

Bye
Jojo