 Castle / 14912
Re: October 31st - Picture of the Day
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 21:11:20 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Johannes Koehler writes:
Nope. :-)
The reformer Martin Luther was an Augustinian monk and also a Doctor of
Theology at the University of Wittenberg. This is why he nailed his 95
theses on the church's door there because this door was used as a bill-board
for the University and he wanted his theses to be publicly disputed. (Well,
as I said before, probably this symbolic act of nailing the theses on the
door never took place, but Luther wrote his theses for the purpose of
scholarly argument.)

Ah.  That I did not know.  Thank you for correcting my oversight!  :)
I do find it interesting that the story of him nailing things to the door
might be a myth or exaggeration.  I have often wondered how someone in his
day and age could have succeeded in such a thing with some inquisition
threatening his life.  ...Although your explaination that the church door
may have been a regular bulletin board would give the story more
credibility.  That was something I had previously been unaware of.

...To bring this back to .castle, I wonder what the Reformation did to
church architecture.  It seems that most Lego castle churches I have seen
reflect a Gothic or Pre-Gothic style.  Was this style used by all
denominations?  Or just Roman Catholic?  Did some post-Reformation
denominations use a different architecture style in their churches?

Just thinking,
-Hendo