 CAD / Development / 9809
Re: In dev: new ldconfig.ldr file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:02:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss wrote:
OK, thanks for clarifying.  Most comments I've heard in this area have been from
people who prefer black edges over colored edges, which is why ldconfig.ldr has
the more depressing style.

I never saw any of those discussions, and I pretty much kept silent about the
original ldconfig.ldr file, because I never really gave the edge colors much
thought.

However, it seems to me that making all the edges black should be up to the
software program (under user control), not the default color definition list.
It's trivial for a program to make all the edges black (and not much harder to
let the user choose what color to make them), but if the official color list
says they should be black, there's no way to go back the other way.

Of course, since LDView already has a "black edges" preference item, maybe I'm
biased.  On the other hand, any program supporting ldconfig.ldr will by
definition have to be modified, so adding a "black edges" feature shouldn't be a
problem.

So, my vote would be to go back to colored (excuse me, coloured) edges in the
ldconfig.ldr, and NOT have an official (even alternate) file with black edges.
While the various suggestions for alternate files make sense, they seem leave
out one major issue:  ldraw.org doesn't touch the ldraw.ini file; that's purely
up to various software programs.  So while it could distribute the alternate
file, and proclaim the correct handling via ldraw.ini, it can't really
distribute an ldraw.ini, since that file by definition contains
local-machine-specific data.

--Travis Cobbs