 CAD / Development / 9813
9812  |  9814
Subject:
Multiple ldconfig files really needed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:51:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
Meanwhile, how would you handle multiple color setups in say the
LDRAW.INI file?  I can imagine wanting to switch easily between the
ldconfig.ldr file for printing, and the alt version for web instructions
and on screen work.

Yeah, I could see a section in LDRAW.INI like:

[Configurations]
0=ldconfig.ldr
1=ldcfgalt.ldr

Me too, but then again, is there really any need for more than two color setups?
With this solution, you'll have to change all your alternative ldconfig files
when a new color is added.

I think just one ldconfig.ldr file would be an advantage. My favourite LCad
viever, L3P already has the option "Color 24 as black" in its Viev menu, and any
future viewer could have this option and its own key in LDraw to avoid the need
of a special command line option to remember the prefered setting.

I'm sorry to have to admit that I have hovered this thread very just briefly,
maybe there are more reasons for multiple ldconfig files, but if it's just for
the sake of having the possibility to set all lines to black, I think it can be
solved in a smoother way, something in the likeness of my suggestion.

I think it would be easier and more powerful to
keep separate config files, and provide the user methods to select the
appropriate config.

For any advanced user who needs multiple separate config files, it will be very
easy to create a set of config files and call them config.001 through config.015
and then make batch files with descriptive names like All_Lines_Red.bat just
containing the command line "copy /y config.007 config.ldr".

Just my 50 öre
/Tore