 CAD / 13704
13703  |  13705
Subject:
Call for GUI part editor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:58:30 GMT

Hi all,

  I've been up to my ears in NXT land, in case anyone noticed or wondered about
my absence.  Needless to say there are "unoffical" Ldraw parts being developed.

  I've increased my skill set as a part author (previously I've only modified
parts that were there.)  Contrary to the recommnendations I did my work in
MLCad.  Now I have a better understanding why a text editor might be a good
alternative.

  I don't have the time, *but* if a 3D GUI editor (e.g. LeoCAD or MLCad) were to
provide the concept of identified (maybe named) verticies, intersections of
planes with planes, cylinders with circles, etc.... I think it would be much
easier to create and edit parts.

  Lets say, hypothetically, I were to endeavor to create a part that involved a
lot of trianges and quads to work around some cylindrical thing.  There are 3D
points that are common to a group of lines, triangles, quads.  Todays
methodology for LDraw parts is to make sure manually that all those 3D points
have the right values in all the lines, tri's quads that share a given point.

  If we were to designate the design by indicating that a given vertex,
intersecting line or curve is used by many related things, then we could
potentially move the vertex (for example) and have *all* the lines, tri's and
quads that share that vertex updated automatically.

  Textually it makes me think of naming those things.  Named points in 3d space.
Named lines in 3D space.  Named arcs in 3D space.

  If we could do that, and express the lines, tri's and quads using those named
points (vertexes) I'd think that the parts suddenly become more maintainable
(i.e. easy to edit with less errors).

  I'm way to busy to act on this concept, but.... I know there are plenty of
capable people out there who could work on a simple textual implementation,
probably with nothing more than a C precprocessor.

  Anyone up for some fun?

Kevin