 CAD / 13728
13727  |  13729
Subject:
LDLite and LDS (Was: Call for GUI part editor)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:52:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
  I've been up to my ears in NXT land, in case anyone noticed or wondered about
my absence.  Needless to say there are "unoffical" Ldraw parts being developed.

Yeah. :)

  I've increased my skill set as a part author (previously I've only modified
parts that were there.)  Contrary to the recommnendations I did my work in
MLCad.  Now I have a better understanding why a text editor might be a good
alternative.

BTW, there are at least 2 reason not to use MLCAD to create parts which you want
to contribute to LDraw.org:

1. (General reason) it's more work than doing it in an enhanced text editor.
2. (Specifically) MLCAD does things to the file that are not allowed in official
part files, so you have to clean up the code afterwards (and then you can no
longer edit it in MLCAD).

  I don't have the time, *but* if a 3D GUI editor (e.g. LeoCAD or MLCad) were to
provide the concept of identified (maybe named) verticies, intersections of
planes with planes, cylinders with circles, etc.... I think it would be much
easier to create and edit parts.

I don't know if this helps, but we already have language to support this
concept.  The LDLite language extensions support the definition of named points
and matrices (and colors, but that's not so useful in this context).  In LDLite
code, you can create a file like:

0 POINT A1 10 0 10
0 POINT B2 -10 -10 -10
0 POINT C3 0 -10 0
0 POINT D4 10 -10 10
3 1 A1 B2 C3
3 2 B2 C3 D4

I had no idea of that. How long has this been an LDLite feature? It reminds at
least me of LDS code. The same thing in LDS would look like this:
P1 10 0 10
P2 -10 -10 -10
P3 0 -10 0
P4 10 -10 10
3 1 P1 P2 P3
3 2 P2 P3 P4

Is it possible to let, say C3's and D4's y values follow B2? Like, in LDS, you
can change the code to:
P2 -10 -10 -10
P3 0 y2 0
P4 10 y2 10
and you only have to edit the y value of P2, then y3 and y4 will also follow. If
so, that would be really handy.

Even if the user were not aware of the point-names, I could see this format
being useful for programs that use point-lists.

It also typically results in smaller files than straight DAT code.

But not as small as the corresponding LDS code. :)

Steve