 CAD / 13714
Re: Call for GUI part editor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:40:52 GMT

Sven Moritz Hein wrote:
for two years I have been programming on a little editor to do
things like that.
[...}
A sample screnshot can be found here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/smhltec/cad/mainscreenshot.png

The idea (and the program!) looks interesting, but I have one main question:

Where do the primitives enter in this picture? It looks like both Kevin's
ideas and your program are ignoring the primitives, working down on the bare
polygons.

Primitives are an essential part of part creation, aren't they? (Correct me
if I'm wrong)

To be really useful, such a tool would have to know about primitives, the
fact that the points of a primitive may not be moved relative to each other
(scale, translate, rotate the full primitive is all we are allowed to do).
The possibility to snap own lines and polygons to the points of a primitive
would of course be necessary (or vice versa, fit a primitive to one or more
own points?).

As for Kevin's ideas about intersection calculations, it is rather
difficult, as the only existing objects in the LDRAW world are the quad,
triangle and line. A .DAT file does not contain any information about more
abstract objects.

I belive the best route to a part modeller is to find an existing 3D
modeller that has the abstraction level, and functionality, that's needed,
and concentrate on making an export filter for that to produce .DAT files.
Are there no community projects working in that direction?

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm