 CAD / 13735
Re: Call for GUI part editor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:45:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
  I've been up to my ears in NXT land, in case anyone noticed or wondered about
my absence.  Needless to say there are "unoffical" Ldraw parts being developed.

Yeah. :)

  I've increased my skill set as a part author (previously I've only modified
parts that were there.)  Contrary to the recommnendations I did my work in
MLCad.  Now I have a better understanding why a text editor might be a good
alternative.

BTW, there are at least 2 reason not to use MLCAD to create parts which you want
to contribute to LDraw.org:

1. (General reason) it's more work than doing it in an enhanced text editor.
2. (Specifically) MLCAD does things to the file that are not allowed in official
part files, so you have to clean up the code afterwards (and then you can no
longer edit it in MLCAD).

Ummmm.... given that.... could you be so kind as to tell me what those are?
This way I can choose to/or not use MLCad and then clean things up afterwards.

Thanks...

  I don't have the time, *but* if a 3D GUI editor (e.g. LeoCAD or MLCad) were to
provide the concept of identified (maybe named) verticies, intersections of
planes with planes, cylinders with circles, etc.... I think it would be much
easier to create and edit parts.

I don't know if this helps, but we already have language to support this
concept.  The LDLite language extensions support the definition of named points
and matrices (and colors, but that's not so useful in this context).  In LDLite
code, you can create a file like:

0 POINT A1 10 0 10
0 POINT B2 -10 -10 -10
0 POINT C3 0 -10 0
0 POINT D4 10 -10 10
3 1 A1 B2 C3
3 2 B2 C3 D4

Even if the user were not aware of the point-names, I could see this format
being useful for programs that use point-lists.

It also typically results in smaller files than straight DAT code.

Steve

To be honest, I figured there were some approaches to this issue already
implemented.  The topic was too obvious for me to be the first to recognize it.

I'll have to do some homework..... when I find a few nano-seconds of free time.

Kev

P.S.  Sorry you had to clean up those unofficial parts I created using MLCad.