 CAD / 13732
Re: LDLite and LDS (Was: Call for GUI part editor)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:04:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
I don't know if this helps, but we already have language to support this
concept.  The LDLite language extensions support the definition of named points
and matrices (and colors, but that's not so useful in this context).  In LDLite
code, you can create a file like:

0 POINT A1 10 0 10
0 POINT B2 -10 -10 -10
0 POINT C3 0 -10 0
0 POINT D4 10 -10 10
3 1 A1 B2 C3
3 2 B2 C3 D4

I had no idea of that. How long has this been an LDLite feature?

Since a very long time; LDLite 1.6 supported it, and it wasn't the first version
to do so.  My LDLite 1.6 files are dated March, 1999.

The LDLite meta-commands are very useful -- I used them when I modeled the
soccer ball, way back when.

It reminds at
least me of LDS code. The same thing in LDS would look like this:
P1 10 0 10
P2 -10 -10 -10
P3 0 -10 0
P4 10 -10 10
3 1 P1 P2 P3
3 2 P2 P3 P4

Is it possible to let, say C3's and D4's y values follow B2? Like, in LDS, you
can change the code to:
P2 -10 -10 -10
P3 0 y2 0
P4 10 y2 10
and you only have to edit the y value of P2, then y3 and y4 will also follow. If
so, that would be really handy.

No, you can't do that with the LDLite statements -- each named point is atomic
(the component values can't be accessed), and there's no expression language --
the actual value of a named point is really just a text string.

Not to say it would be a big stretch to define a syntax like B2.y, to access the
y component of B2.  But it's not part of the existing definition.

Even if the user were not aware of the point-names, I could see this format
being useful for programs that use point-lists.

It also typically results in smaller files than straight DAT code.

But not as small as the corresponding LDS code. :)

True.  But the LDLite code has the advantage of having a straightforward
translation to standard DAT code.

Steve