 Technic / 5102
Re: Bionicle going away?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 03:16:12 GMT

I thougt we'd agreed Bionicle wasn't Technic, it's pretty obvious, and I
like the 'is it in the spirit of Technic' test. I thought the argument was
whether both lines should be grouped together on Lugnet.

We have agreed on that, several times, but certain parties want to make sure
nobody forgets it.  Here are the issues as I see them.  Should the Techbots
(Slizer, Roboriders, Bionicle) be in Lugnet's technic section?  Yes, because
that's where Lego put them.  Should Lego have put them there?  It was either
that or create a whole new category, which would have been too much trouble to
go to if you figure that the Throwbots were just an experiment to see if the
consumers would go for them.  But should Lego have put them there??  Well, by
strict definition of Technic no, but Lego's not required to nitpick themselves,
and ultimately it was their decision and our opinion doesn't matter or change
what has already happened.  Are they Technic?  Of course not.  They are quite
unlike every other Technic set in existance.  Even the idiot Cyberslammer sets
are more Technic than the Techbots.  Is it the end of the world?  I should hope
not, though some are treating it as such.

It makes me wonder though.  If I took all the Techbot sets, removed the disc
throwing arms, the wheel launchers, the Bioncle weapons, and the fanciful
heads, dumped the parts into a big bin, went back in time to before the
Throwbots and gave them to a Lego purist, would he agree that the pieces were
from Technic sets?