 Technic / 5061
Re: Bionicle going away?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 07:15:50 GMT

Hmph.  More of this "Bionicle is not Technic" resentment.  Look, Lego wasn't
about to start an entire new line for the Throwbots, Roboriders, and Bionicle,
and they're a lot closer to being Technic than they are to being System (or
whatever the heck they're calling the sets with the minifigs these days).  No,
of course the Techbots aren't "real" Technic sets.  Nowhere near.  I doubt
anybody here will argue that they are.  But Lego's not so anal about what they
call their things.  Just stop taking what Lego calls things so literally.

In regards to the alleged reduction in quality of the main Technic sets, I
think the 8448 Supercar and the Silver Champion is evidence enough that Lego's
current philosophy is form over function.  No doubt this is what they think the
majority of Lego consumers want.  No doubt they have some marketing research to
back this up.  Yes, I know YOU don't want form over function.  So you're in the
minority.  Sucks to be you (and I mean that, it's not just sarcasm).  However,
I doubt you can assign the blame for this to the Throwbots and Bionicle.  If
that were true, there would only be a token amount of small "real" technic sets
coming out.  We wouldn't be getting stuff like the 4x4 SUV thing.  Frankly, if
you want to be mad about something, pick on the Star Wars sets.  If not for all
the Technic Droids that they've been doing there'd probably be another backhoe
or something out.

I think the main reason Tobbe (and others, including me) would like to see the
Bionicle line disappear is because there is a strong feeling that this line
(and the Slizer/RoboRider lines) is taking money and efforts from the
development of the Technic line. If the Technic line returned to what it was a
few years ago (in terms of quality and quantity of models) I'm sure we
wouldn't complain so much.

Another point is that I see this line as inferior to the classic Technic line
in terms of modularity, functionality and design. For me it just means that I
won't buy Bionicle, but I can see a less informed parent buying one for his
kid thinking it's a top quality product (being a 'LEGO Technic' set) and not
getting what he bargained for. This will deprive the child of a great toy that
he can benefit from and harm the LEGO brand (and we as AFOLs will suffer the
results of that).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that you enjoy this line and I hope that
you'll continue to enjoy it, but I don't think it's _Technic_ and I don't
think it should be under that title.

I have nothing against Barbie [1] but if TLC stopped manufacturing its current
product and started manufacturing Barbie dolls (and the Technic news group got
filled with posts about Barbie...) I think I would develop a resentment
against that doll pretty quickly...

Well, some pieces have their use, but on a whole I think the pieces from those
lines are much more cosmetic and less modular and their incorporation is much
harder and forced - They just weren't designed as Technic pieces!

Given the large amounts of money and effort LEGO has put into this line I
seriously doubt they'll give up so fast. I also think that judging from the
past experience with the Throwbots/RoboRider lines it seems that the end of
the Bionicle line will just be the beginning of a worse line (or at least one
that is just as bad).