 Technic / 5052
Re: Bionicle going away?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 06:26:04 GMT

Philisteines....
Besides, most children I know, rip apart Technic sets morte than Legobricks,
its a little over compley. Bionicle and other Technic Bots are classified
Technic for their joint and brace parts, its all made to merge with Technic,
not bricxks, Just back off them OK! Have you bought one? have you looked at
the effort on teh site? Have you Forgoten the old days when we had action
figures or transformers and said "Man, if we had these....and we had some
legos...Wait man, PUT THE 2 TOGETHER! Dude that will Rule!" Well there they sit!
Action figures, Plus the Legos we love, and people, Technic is Technic,
besides, a whole ton of technic sets are outrageously expensive! at least
the Bionicles are Economical!(even if teh Mask aspect will hurt kids
wallets, teh tradeign aspect is great for their social/antisocial skills
too). They are here, get used to it, I wont bash yours, you dont bash mine,
thank you!
-leaves podium to build new Pohatu set, and is happy as ever-
-http://www.geocities.com/vestras/

In lugnet.technic, David Arnon writes:
In lugnet.technic, Andrew Eade writes:

I'd appretiate it if you would NOT bash such a fine line. Maybe you dont
like it, but its no reason to revel in others misfortunes....I happen to
find them among the most inovative lines Lego has released many of the

I think the main reason Tobbe (and others, including me) would like to see the
Bionicle line disappear is because there is a strong feeling that this line
(and the Slizer/RoboRider lines) is taking money and efforts from the
development of the Technic line. If the Technic line returned to what it was a
few years ago (in terms of quality and quantity of models) I'm sure we
wouldn't complain so much.

Another point is that I see this line as inferior to the classic Technic line
in terms of modularity, functionality and design. For me it just means that I
won't buy Bionicle, but I can see a less informed parent buying one for his
kid thinking it's a top quality product (being a 'LEGO Technic' set) and not
getting what he bargained for. This will deprive the child of a great toy that
he can benefit from and harm the LEGO brand (and we as AFOLs will suffer the
results of that).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that you enjoy this line and I hope that
you'll continue to enjoy it, but I don't think it's _Technic_ and I don't
think it should be under that title.

I have nothing against Barbie [1] but if TLC stopped manufacturing its current
product and started manufacturing Barbie dolls (and the Technic news group got
filled with posts about Barbie...) I think I would develop a resentment
against that doll pretty quickly...

unique parts form the Slizer, Bionicle, and RoboRider lines are now very
useful and incorperated into many of the newer sets, so please do not revel.

Well, some pieces have their use, but on a whole I think the pieces from those
lines are much more cosmetic and less modular and their incorporation is much
harder and forced - They just weren't designed as Technic pieces!

*BIONICLE RULE!!!*

That may be, but they are not Technic!!
/* get the Bionicle group out of the Technic news group!!! */

First of all, I did not post this into lugnet.technic.bionicle since I
thought Technic dudes would like it better :)

I went to my local LEGO source today and they have a pretty big sale
on the Bionicle sets. Are LEGO dumping them away (silent wohoo!) or
did my store just buy more sets then they could sell?

Don't know, but I don't think it's a big surprise they have to dump
the prices to get rid of them. I am, how ever, surprised it's already
happening!

So dear Technic fans, perhaps LEGO has realized that Bionicle is not a
good line of products and perhaps, just perhaps do they invest in more
Technic LEGO instead :)

Given the large amounts of money and effort LEGO has put into this line I
seriously doubt they'll give up so fast. I also think that judging from the
past experience with the Throwbots/RoboRider lines it seems that the end of
the Bionicle line will just be the beginning of a worse line (or at least one
that is just as bad).

Always the pessimist :-)        [   or should that be :-(     ? ...]

[1] I guess a lot of bad things could be said about Barbie, but that's not my
point.

- David