 Storage / 556
Re: My beautiful methods of storage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:37:12 GMT

Shiri Dori wrote in message ...
Thus, I'm looking for some good containers, preferably compartmentalized.
Bradlees was a dead end. Any suggestions?

Well, you've had lots of good responses, and I've talked about how I store my LEGO before, but like Larry, I like to hear myself
talk so...

People have suggested the Plano boxes. These are nice, but go to Target instead. The brand they carry has twice as many divider
positions, and the dividers stay in better (I'm slowly migrating my few plano boxes to hold larger stuff where the dividers aren't
as important). The extra divisibility is very valuable (there are so many LEGO parts which need 1.5 plano compartments).

For stuff which overflows these containers, they go into quart sized Hefty One-Zip Freezer bags (I find the Hefty brand to be better
than the ZipLoc brand, the ZipLoc sliders come off the bag too easily). When they overflow a quart bag, they go into a gallon bag (I
wish they made half quart and a two quart bags with the One-Zip slider and freezer weight).

Bags are stored in tubs (LEGO or Rubbermaid or whatever). Each tub contains bags of logically related parts (windows & doors, fences
& ladders, containers, arches, bracket type parts, 1x6 and longer bricks, 1x4 bricks, etc. you get the idea). I also have two
plastic drawer units which of course are just more easily accessed tubs. For a while, one drawer unit was plates, and another was
slopes and a few other things. The plates don't fit one drawer unit anymore, and the slopes basically fill one. There is a drawer of
canopies in the plates unit (there used to be a box of windshields in the canopies drawer, but that outgrew itself). I probably
should get a couple more drawer units.

A few larger parts go into tubs or copier paper boxes by themselves (or in the case of wall components, bagged and then put in
copier paper boxes). I've got a copier paper box full of BURPS, I'm not sure if I could get all my pirate hulls into a copier paper
box  (they are in a larger box, along with some floating boat hulls).

I also have some of the 9 compartment LEGO boxes (from set 2146 which doesn't have a picture yet, I need to scan it in and upload
it... other sets which use the same box [or the 6 compartment version]: 385, 365, 545, and probably more). Some of these hold
minifigs or body parts, others hold larger special pieces (like boat bricks, lattice columns). A 6 compartment box (with the
dividers removed) holds palm tree parts (each half holds one size of leaf, the bases, trunks, and forks are in Hefty One-Zip bags on
top).

Oh, and then there's overflow containers. I've got a bucket that 2x2, 2x3, and 2x4 bricks of all the common colors go into, and
another that 1x1, 1x2, 1x3, and 1x4s go into (except black 1x3s). What's funny is that I often end up building from those bricks
because they're easier to get at...

I do need to refine my system to make it easier to take the Pirate Game on the road. I need to have all the minifig parts used by
the game in plano boxes which don't have parts not used in the game (even if theme sorting might suggest different organizations).

Overall, the system seems to work fairly well, though it constantly evolves as the sorted collection grows (I may only have 1/3 of
my collection sorted so far). I may start overflow buckets for plates and odd color bricks soon. It would also help if I started to
make some furniture out of LEGO...

Frank