 Star Wars / 4069
Re: New Pictures of 2000 SW sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 15:48:48 GMT

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 19:46:28 GMT, "Jason Carter" <jcarter@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Hey everyone, over at rebelscum.com they have some new pictures up.  The A-
wing, B-wing set(looks pretty cool), Flash Speeder, Kaadus, Slave 1, and the
Tatooine Skiff.  The Skiff set looks really small, maybe its just me.  It
seems all the sets showen look small.  Just wanted to let everyone know!!

Why didn't they post large scans?!?!?  *Sigh*.

Well, I am *very* happy with these sets.  They are not the majorly-impressive SW
models that we drool over on the web, but they are very well done production set
for TLG.  Lotsa bricks, some good rarer pieces, the only new SPUD I noticed was
the Kaadu.  It would have been nice to have one larger set, but oh well.

7134 A-Wing Fighther

Not a bad ship, but too chunky to really capture the spirit of A-Wing.

7180 B-Wing at Rebel Control Center

I like this set the best of all the new ones, from the fuzzy pictures I've seen
on the web (well, maybe the Technic Battle Droid is rated a bit higher in my
mind...).  But speaking of bad catalog pictures, does that shot make the B-Wing
look like a dog, or what?  The B-Wing in the logo shot (the one with the
minifigs in closeup) looked much more interesting.  And when did yellow change
to orange?  Not that that is a bad change, but not necessarily good.

The text from the catalog is humorous:  "...But you can improve on it, if you
like."  Good general philosophy on LEGO, but it still makes me wonder if the
catalog copy writer had a bad feeling about this set.

7124 Flash Speeder

Lotsa green! :) And the driver's cap is brown. :):)

Good observation from Sproat on the green military vehicle.

7115 The Gungan Patrol (Kaadu)

Initial reaction:  What do we need with more Gungans and their duck faced
horses? Augh!  Well, at least there's 8D dishes, and the double 'antenna' piece
will be a useful decorative bit.

Revised reaction:  Oh, wow!  The set we need to build *half* of a Gungan War
diorama.  I'm not sure the Gungan War is a scene many SW/LEGO builders want to
go for, but having a set which is basically army-building fodder is something
people frequently wish about.

I guess we can buy equal quantities of this set and the Naboo Swamp (toss the
jedi-figs), and we'll have more-or-less matched sides.

*I* would have skipped one Kaadu, in favor of having a couple of battle droids.
Seems like there were as many (or more) Gungan infantry as cavalry.

And I really wish TLG would design a modular creature system.  I'd love to
mix-and-match pieces between the various beasties.  Or make a four-legged kaadu.

7144 Boba Fett's Slave I

I'm liking this one.  I'm not sure how well it models the original, but it's
still a nice LEGO set.

7104 Tatooine Skiff

That's it?  This is the one real disappointment in the new line. :(

In other news:  There's a nice-looking ATST as an alternate model in the 8001
Technic Battle Droid (see <http://www.seacon.nl/yoyodyne/8001_2.htm>).  Looks
like they've got all the joints, and it's reasonably close to minifig scale.
The head would need to be augmented/replaced to allow minifig drivers, but
that's a SMOB (simple matter of building).

Steve
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where it keeps its brain."