 Star Wars / 13304
Re: The Real Chosen One?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 19:42:10 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Koudys writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Scott Costello writes:
In any case, I'm sure what Obi-Wan said about the droids was true... "from a
certain point of view."  The tougher issue to resolve is why in A New Hope
does he tell Luke that Anakin was already an accomplished pilot?  (Because
Lucas didn't know...)

No one tries to explain away aparent inconsistencies more than I do but I
still have a real problem with the word "accomplished". I mean to say that
as a boy Anakin was awesome behind the controls of any kind of vehicle may
be correct, but the term "accomplished" indicates experience; to me it is
synonymis with "seasoned" or "proven". Maybe I am just reading too much into
this.

And what about the rumor about the cut scene with a kiss between Shimi and
Qui-Gon? How does that bode with the whole Jedi celebacy thing?

Scott

I may be missing something 'cause I refuse to stand in line more than half
hour for any movie (besides star trek ;) ) so I havent seen AOTC yet, but I
saw ANH when I was 10 and it looked to me that Darth Vader was a pretty
accomplished pilot.  Of course Lucas knew--Darth Vader was a very good pilot
and therefore so was Luke's Father.

If Obi-wan was Anakin's trainer, which is stated as early as ANH, Obi-wan
would know that Anakin was a very good flyer.

Obi-Wan's statement in Ep 4. fits right in.

I see what you mean but I think you've missed his point.  He means that
Anakin seemed to be a great pilot right from the start; he was an excellent
pilot, not an accomplished one; no experience made him great, he just is.
Personally I disagree with this, and also think the statement in Ep4 works fine.

--Josh