 Star Wars / 13243
Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 07:03:59 GMT

I am going to leave some spoiler space here, even though this is just
speculation:

And I'm going to leave it there too.

That ought to do it.

Anyway, here's what I think is up:  Palpatine/Sidious is doing all of this
purposefully to bring balance to the Force.  Think about it:  The Jedi are
losing their powers, and are too bogged down in their own bureaucracy to do
what needs to be done.  Palpatine says to Anakin in this movie, "I forsee you
becoming the geatest Jedi of all."  He might have been saying it only to stroke
Anakin's ego, but he might have been referring to Anakin's destiny.  If Anakin
were not corrupted, after all, he would not fulfill this destiny.

I kind of agree with you, but in a different way.  let me explain.  In TPM Mace
Windu commented that the sith had been gone for a long time, and we also know
that very few Jedi leave the Jedi Order (20 I think, from Ep 2 Visual
Dictionary) so it is fair to say that in the grand scheme of things there are
not all that many people trained to use the Dark Side.  There are, however, a
lot of Jedi (Knights, Padwans, training kiddies etc...)  When the Empire rose
most of the Jedi were killed.  we know that Obi-Wan and Yoda survived, so it is
fair to say that a few others might have.  And we also know that Vader directly
helped to wipe out the Jedi.  so the Jedi are reduced from a massive
bureaucracy to a handful of people.  at the start of ANH there are very few
people trained in the way of the force, and a few are old Jedi and a few are
Dark Jedi/Sith Lords.  as horrible as it is, it is a balance, the sides are
fairly equal now.

Palpatine/Sidious- if they are the same person- has shown himself to be
excellent at manipulating everyone to bring about exactly what he wants.  If it
were not for what he was doing, Anakin wouldn't be in a position to bring
balance to the Force.  What if he simply has an "ends justify the means"
attitude towards attaining that balance?  Certainly intigating the deaths of
millions is evil, but remember what Obi-Wan tells Luke on Dagobah- truths
change depending on your point of view.

Palpatine/Sidious are without a doubt (in my mind anyway) the same entity.  In
one of the Star Wars books (which are not cannon, but a reasonable reference I
think, or maybe not after Ep 2) it was revealed that the Emperor could project
his essence/soul/being/whatever into other living vessles.  so Palpatine and
Sidious may not be physically the same person (incedently I think that they
are, but I found this theroy interesting)

And always, always remember what Emperor Palpatine says to Vader when he
arrives at the Death Star- "Everything is proceeding as I have forseen it."

Two things that we have learnt from the movies is that the future is always in
motion, and that the dark side is hard to see.  Palpatine wouldn't have to many
problems with the dark side I wouldn't think, but you never know.  and he was
proven wrong anyway.  but still, it is obvious that he has a great deal of
control over, and power from, the force.

Incedently the appearance of the death star in this film doesn't bode well for
the books.  In the Jedi Academy trilogy (written buy Kevin Anderson, who is a
hack, but I digress) Luke decided that the New Republic needed the Jedi Knoghts
to defend them again.  Fair enough too.  But the other story line delt with a
hidden and secret research facility (known only to Grand Moff Tarkin) that
concieved, designed, developed and constructed the Death Star.  we now know
that the imperials neither concieved nor designed it (at least in it's initial
stages at least) so from my point of view that series, and any other
series/books that rely on events from that series (such as Jedi Knights other
that Luke, Mara and Leia) cannot exist.

Another tidbit that may relate I stumbled across.  A game is being released for
the PS2 and the Gamecube called Clone Wars.  in it you play as either Mace,
Anakin or Obi-Wan battling in the clone wars and trying to stop the agents of
evil constructing an ancient sith weapon of mass destruction.  could the Death
Star actually be that Sith Weapon???

I am now really looking forward to Episode 3!

Trav