 Star Wars / 13320
Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 03:58:35 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Felix Greco writes:
One question and then I'll go back to lurking mode.  Why do the Jedi look at
"balancing of the force" as a good thing?  In EpI & II, Mace Windu kind of
refers to Anikin as though he's some type of prophesized mesiah figure.  Its
just not clicking for me.  If Yoda and Mace are discussing in Ep I that the
Sith were extinct, what the heck did they think balance was going to be.
And if one of the Skywalkers does bring balance to the force, isn't that a
bad thing?  Doesn't that imply a massive rise in the dark side?

Help me out.

hi,

I thought the same thing when I saw Phantom Menace, but there is a scene in
Attack of the Clones that (to me) directly explains what they could be thinking.

spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers...
spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers...
spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers...
spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers...
spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers...
spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers...
spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers...
spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers...
spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers...

The scene where Obi Wan informs Yoda and Mace about the creation of the
Clone Army is very telling, in that the old masters are both shocked to find
it out, not only because it was (as far as we know) one of their fellow Jedi
that ordered it, but that they didn't 'see it coming' through the force.
When Mace says (rough quote) 'we should inform the Senate that our powers
with the force have weakened.' I think he is referring to more than just
that one occurence, but to a general weaking of the Jedi that they had been
aware of for some time.

In their innocence perhaps, they assume that the force *becoming* unbalanced
is the cause of their weakness, not the balancing beginning.  They probably
look at the situation and think that a near absence of Sith is how the
universe healthfully balances out.  As it was pointed out before, balance
doesn't have to mean equal, that may be the secret of why Sith are so much
more powerful so quickly...

To their credit, in the end of ROTJ, this IS how the universe balances out,
so maybe that's a subtle message underneath everything.  What they didn't
realize is that the balancing is not the creation of MORE Sith, but the
reduction of Jedi.  Perhaps the Midichlorians (mass sentience anyone?)  just
wanted to go back to being a subtle force instead of a Obvious Force.

Thoughts?

cheers!
Joel Kuester