 Star Wars / 13242
13241  |  13243
Subject:
Possible deep deep spoiler.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 04:18:06 GMT

Alright, I just saw Episode II.  I'm sure that will be a shock to some people.
I plan to make up for it by seeing it again tomorrow night.

Anyway, in the course of watching the movie I think I might have figured out
The Big One.  I mean, the great big secret to the prequel trilogy, the massive
plot twist that Lucas has been leading up to all along.

I am going to leave some spoiler space here, even though this is just
speculation:

That ought to do it.

Anyway, here's what I think is up:  Palpatine/Sidious is doing all of this
purposefully to bring balance to the Force.  Think about it:  The Jedi are
losing their powers, and are too bogged down in their own bureaucracy to do
what needs to be done.  Palpatine says to Anakin in this movie, "I forsee you
becoming the geatest Jedi of all."  He might have been saying it only to stroke
Anakin's ego, but he might have been referring to Anakin's destiny.  If Anakin
were not corrupted, after all, he would not fulfill this destiny.

Palpatine/Sidious- if they are the same person- has shown himself to be
excellent at manipulating everyone to bring about exactly what he wants.  If it
were not for what he was doing, Anakin wouldn't be in a position to bring
balance to the Force.  What if he simply has an "ends justify the means"
attitude towards attaining that balance?  Certainly intigating the deaths of
millions is evil, but remember what Obi-Wan tells Luke on Dagobah- truths
change depending on your point of view.

And always, always remember what Emperor Palpatine says to Vader when he
arrives at the Death Star- "Everything is proceeding as I have forseen it."

Thoughts?

eric