 Star Wars / 13276
13275  |  13277
Subject:
The Real Chosen One?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 15:32:01 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
Thoughts?

eric

That's all well and good, and I agree with you, but I want to know this.

Oh... and I think I'll be discussing some EP.2 stuff down there so I'm leaving
room.  If I forget.. ehh.. shoot me.

Alrighty-roo  I want to know this...

Why is R2-D2 a droid god of all that is Star Wars??  If anyone has brought this
whole story to its end more, it's R2-D2.

Let me explain.

In episode 1...

R2-D2 is the last droid standing when repairing the Queen's ship's shields.

R2-D2 turns off Anakin's naboo fighter's autopilot.

In episode 2...

Ok, R2-D2 DOES fail to find the scorpion things, but hey, he's not superman ;)

R2-D2 pulls C3PO out of the shuttle to go into the factory where Anakin and
Amidala have just gone, almost KNOWING they'd need the help, as C3PO had said
to the contrary

R2-D2 pushes C3PO onto the treadmil to become half protocol, half battle droid,
only to be put back together by R2-D2 later in the movie.  This I will write
off as coicidence.

R2-D2 turns off the smelter before Amidala becomes a crispy critter.

R2-D2 does his second waltz in the middle of a firefight between jedi and
droids to (not surprisingly) come out unscathed.  Was he stupid enough to be
picked up and taken to the first clone war battle?  I think not! :)

In Star Wars ( i refuse to refer to any of the trilogy as episode X)

R2-D2 does a third waltz in a fire fight and is unscathed.

R2-D2 gets the secret death star plans from Princess Leia

R2-D2 gets C3PO on the escape pod and is not obliterated by the cannoneers on
the star destroyer above.

R2-D2 goes the way C3PO doesn't want to go, AS IF HE KNEW to be captured by
Jawas ;)

R2-D2 successfully convinces Luke to give him freedom so he could run away to
Obi Wan

R2-D2 watches over Luke until Obi Wan appears.  Granted this could be written
off as nothing, but did Luke come to further harm from the sand people?  Hmm?

R2-D2 finds the Princess on the death star and turns off the trash compactor.

R2-D2 saves Luke from fighter malfunction on the death star run, until his is
*gasp* shot!  The only time in the entire five movies that he suffers from
permanent-until-repaired damage.  He must have learned his lesson.

In Empire Strikes back

R2-D2 is eaten by a marsh monster, only to be spit up again because the droid
cannot die!!  And maybe because he doesn't taste good either.

R2-D2 waltzs through another firefight, this time on cloud city, to remain
unscathed.

R2-D2 opens the doors for the group so that we would all get a chance to see
part of the 30 seconds the Slave I got of air time.

R2-D2 discovers the Milenium Falcon's hyper drive has been turned off and if
memory serves, fixes it.

In Return of the Jedi

R2-D2 Walks right into the lair of Jabba the Hut, knowing everything is fine.

R2-D2 mouths off to the droid in command in Jabba's lair, almost knowing he'd
get the last laugh.

R2-D2 gives Luke his lightsabre so he can kick much butt.

R2-D2 waltzs through another battle, to be unscathed, as he pushes C3PO, again,
off a ledge.  It is amazing both droids are unharmed by the fall, are able to
sink so far in the sand, or be unscathed from the sail barge exploding.  Then
again, R2-D2 is a droid god.

R2-D2 cuts the group down from the ewok net.

R2-D2 gets sweet revenge against the ewok that tried to poke him!  ZAP!

R2-D2 does another waltz through a firefight to be unscathed to try to open the
doors of the back entrance tot he shield generator

R2-D2 only chooses the wrong port to lock into because of C3PO (human shaped
droid error)

And through all five movies, R2-D2 is there to witness the greatest series of
events the galaxy has ever known, and he never speaks a word about it (that we
can understand anyway).

And what does C3PO do besides give a means of translating R2-D2?  He's just a
comic bit player.  R2-D2 is the major character here.

It's as if R2-D2 wanted all of this to happen, as if he was the driving force
behind it all.  After all, had he not done most of the stuff I listed above,
none of this would ever have happened.  This can only mean one thing!

R2-D2 IS THE CHOSEN ONE!! :)

Just my fifteen cents.

--Anthony
http://www.ozbricks.com/ikros