 Star Wars / 13293
Re: The Real Chosen One?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 12:42:11 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Scott Costello writes:
R2-D2 IS THE CHOSEN ONE!! :)

That is such an awesome theory, and I really love your evidence. My question
is in Star Wars (Episode IV) when Obi-Wan meets up with Luke and R2, why
does he say "I don't seem to recall ever owning a droid" and not "Holy cow!
R2 man has it been a long time, remember when you saved us all on the
queen's ship." That's how it would have happened if I had written the script.

Because, regardless of everything he has said later, Lucas didn't have the
episodes all planned when he did the first one!!!  Sure, he had thought out
Anakin's fall from grace and all that but all he had was a rough outline.
I'm sure he didn't get to that level of detail, and in fact probably built
up his attachment to the droids as he went through the movie.  (He did the
interview in the late 70s that talked about the three trilogies... then
later admitted he made it up and hadn't planned it out like that at first.)

In any case, I'm sure what Obi-Wan said about the droids was true... "from a
certain point of view."  The tougher issue to resolve is why in A New Hope
does he tell Luke that Anakin was already an accomplished pilot?  (Because
Lucas didn't know...)

Peter