 Star Wars / 13242
  Possible deep deep spoiler.

Alright, I just saw Episode II. I'm sure that will be a shock to some people. I plan to make up for it by seeing it again tomorrow night. Anyway, in the course of watching the movie I think I might have figured out The Big One. I mean, the great big (...) (22 years ago, 21-May-02, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.

<snip> WARNING THESE MAY BE CONSIDERED SPOILERS FOR EP3 ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! (...) Anakin Skywalker is NOT the person who will bring balance to the force! He is NOT who the scripts are refering to. That role is his (...) (22 years ago, 21-May-02, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.

Well Eric, I'm not so sure. I don't really think Palaptine/Sidious/Emperor has much balance in mind. I really think all he's out for is pure power. I mean, really, when he adopts the Emperor mantle, he doesn't seem to be thinking much about balance. (...) (22 years ago, 21-May-02, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.

(...) And I'm going to leave it there too. (...) I kind of agree with you, but in a different way. let me explain. In TPM Mace Windu commented that the sith had been gone for a long time, and we also know that very few Jedi leave the Jedi Order (20 (...) (22 years ago, 21-May-02, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.

(...) I got rid of a lot of the original posts for space reasons. Anyhow I don't have as much to say, but honestly I think it's not that complicated. But comes down to what Lucas has said all along, about Anakin's struggles etc. And that lends to (...) (22 years ago, 21-May-02, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.

One question and then I'll go back to lurking mode. Why do the Jedi look at "balancing of the force" as a good thing? In EpI & II, Mace Windu kind of refers to Anikin as though he's some type of prophesized mesiah figure. Its just not clicking for (...) (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.

(...) And in the interests of conservation of carriage returns, I shall recycle it. (...) Indeed, but for the three of us using a newsreader: (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.

(...) That comes from the Zahn books, not the original movies. All we hear in Ep IV-V is that the Jedi are all but extinct... Peter (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.

(...) I don't think that a balance of folks who use each side of the force is what is meant. I think it's probably a deeper sort of yin-yang idea where-in practitioners can embrace both the light and dark sides of the force, thus becoming more fully (...) (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.

(...) Like someone else has mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I don't necessarily think that the concept of "balance of the force" means an equal number of dark side and light side Jedi. I'm not entirely sure WHAT they mean when they say it, but (...) (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.starwars)

  The Real Chosen One?

(...) That's all well and good, and I agree with you, but I want to know this. Oh... and I think I'll be discussing some EP.2 stuff down there so I'm leaving room. If I forget.. ehh.. shoot me. Alrighty-roo I want to know this... Why is R2-D2 a (...) (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

(...) Well, in the second trilogy, the story is somewhat told through the eyes of R2D2 and C-3PO. There are very few occasions where something happens that one or the other is not there-- usually scenes where we learn bad guy plans or something (...) (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

(...) That is such an awesome theory, and I really love your evidence. My question is in Star Wars (Episode IV) when Obi-Wan meets up with Luke and R2, why does he say "I don't seem to recall ever owning a droid" and not "Holy cow! R2 man has it (...) (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

That's a great theory. What makes it even greater, is that to all the other characters, R2D2 is "Just a droid", so they don't even realize that he is the Chosen One. He is the silent controller of events. He is there not to bring attention to (...) (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

You missed one - where R2D2 puts out the fire with his built-in extinguisher... Just how much stuff is crammed into that little droid body, anyway?? JohnG, GMLTC (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.

"Chris Lannan" <shakguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GwIos7.56s@lugnet.com... (...) what (...) and (...) things (...) made (...) I think this is the right idea, and carrying this one step further, we can see that Anakin does bring about this (...) (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

(...) He's like the droid equivalent of a Swiss army knife! He'd be handy around the house. "Now where'd I put that screwdriver...oh, thanks R2!" - Bob (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

R2 is Batman's utility belt in a canister. (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

(...) Because, regardless of everything he has said later, Lucas didn't have the episodes all planned when he did the first one!!! Sure, he had thought out Anakin's fall from grace and all that but all he had was a rough outline. I'm sure he didn't (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

"Scott Costello" <scottcos@spamfree.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:GwJ1D4.Ezy@lugnet.com... (...) question (...) cow! (...) script. (...) If you watch the film, R2 spends probably less than a minute with Obi Wan on screen.. and I'd imagine one (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

(...) No one tries to explain away aparent inconsistencies more than I do but I still have a real problem with the word "accomplished". I mean to say that as a boy Anakin was awesome behind the controls of any kind of vehicle may be correct, but the (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

(...) I may be missing something 'cause I refuse to stand in line more than half hour for any movie (besides star trek ;) ) so I havent seen AOTC yet, but I saw ANH when I was 10 and it looked to me that Darth Vader was a pretty accomplished pilot. (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

(...) I see what you mean but I think you've missed his point. He means that Anakin seemed to be a great pilot right from the start; he was an excellent pilot, not an accomplished one; no experience made him great, he just is. Personally I disagree (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Possible deep deep spoiler.

(...) hi, I thought the same thing when I saw Phantom Menace, but there is a scene in Attack of the Clones that (to me) directly explains what they could be thinking. spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... spoilers... (...) (22 years ago, 25-May-02, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

I've been picking up the Star Wars Fact File in Australia over here, and it never mentions R2's built-in rockets on his two outer traction arms. It would seem then that we're not the only ones who aren't caught up on SW facts! :-) If you browse over (...) (22 years ago, 26-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

(...) I think Obi-Wan speaks the truth when he says he never owned R2. Since R2 was originally aboard the Queen's ship, so I'd say he's technically Padme/Amidala's droid. But being Chosen One, can R2 ever really be "owned" per se? :) Also, did I (...) (22 years ago, 27-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: The Real Chosen One?

(...) Woo hoo!! I'm not alone thinking that R2 is the one that "brings" balance to the Force. My wife still thinks I'm daffy though, despite the fact that there are others who also believe. Thanks for speaking out Anthony! --Jack AFOL, St. Louis (22 years ago, 27-May-02, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.fun)