 Space / 13892
Re: Giant Cruiser and MOC contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 05:32:07 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
I like what's come of it so far.....the no nonsense design compliments the
NEF timeframe.  The globes in the background remind me a little of 'Silent
Running'...a true '70's sci-fi classic.

   If memory serves, the biospheres from Silent Running were flatter--
   and, of course, bigger.  The idea I have is of the eight deuterium
   globes in two rows of four, and a third row (forming a triangular array)
   that uses 10x10 trans-green lids and a bunch of greenery bits to
   simulate hydroponics.  On a five-year-plus mission like this one,
   with no provision for any kind of trans-atmospheric planetfall,
   they'll need to provide both food and reliable air.  Cracking CO2
   artificially can only go so far, and plant matter works admirably
   (if slowly).  I'd imagine it would be a high-gas-exchange plant
   with relatively low photosythetic requirements , perhaps further
   modified to enhance those properties (given that solar light will
   be poor for perhaps 75% of the journey).

   But no, no plans for any navigable forests on board.  As much as
   I'd love LEGO versions of Huey, Louie, and Dewey...

Any hints as to crew compliment, or will that be held ne verbum until the
unveiling?

   I'm still negotiating crew complement, because the number of modules is
   in flux.  As it stands, the ship's going to be eight 10x12 peripheral
   modules, two core modules, one engine module, the command pod and neck,
   one solar panel ring, and maybe a pair of bigger peripheral modules
   if it doesn't mess with the look of the ship too much.

   The crew compartments are currently three of the 10x12 peripheral modules.
   Each one has two beds; I had expected that there would be hot-racking in
   two of the three (the third doubling as medical accomodations if needed).
   So the crew complement would be 10 or 12, at the most; the ship's meant
   to run just fine with only four, if necessary.

   The hardest part so far has been to find space for everything that would
   be needed.  I've added a few "just-so" technologies that solve problems;
   the FTL drive principle also allows a rudimentary form of artificial
   gravity (though no antigravity) in the modules, which solves some
   major practical issues.  (It also means that I don't have to worry about
   the ceiling, walls, and so forth being storage space.)

   I'm considering a larger shuttle as part of one of the core modules, but
   so far there's already a 10x12 EVA bug accomodation module as well as a
   dedicated spacewalk/airlock module built.  We'll see how it goes from
   there.  I've already torn apart the computer core and communications
   module twice, and I'm in the middle of a major redesign of the "probe
   dropper," which launches neat little instrumentation probes and inter-
   ferometer satellites for system surveying.

   Sorry for the ramble--it's late!

   best

   LFB