 Robotics / 7356
Re: Upcoming _Star Wars_ Mindstorms and Technics Releases
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:22:11 GMT

Hmmm.  Anybody else out there thinking that there might not actually be
a Slave I set for 2000?  I'd love to see it, but it just doesn't seem to
jive in my head as something that LEGO would do.  Here are some of my
thoughts:  Slave I has very little screen time (esp. compared to Mil.
Falcon, X-Wing, Tie Fighters, etc.)  It's also less than the Y-wing,
though slightly more than the B-wing.  Most of the SW ships are
high-recognition proposals.  Although most SW fans will instantly rattle
off everything they know about Slave I, I don't think it's familiar to
non-die-hard fans.  I'm actually surprised they're doing the B-wing ...
(by the way, I like Eric's better anyways).  The more I think about it,
the more I'm convinced that Boba Fett will come in some set that doesn't
include Slave I ... either a desert skiff, a carbon-freezing playset, a
Jabba's throne room, a Bespin playset - well, all of those seem more
likely to me than a Slave I.  I'm hoping I'm wrong, though.  ANybody
else have any thoughts, or some irrefutable evidence?

While I'm writing this, I just had this overpowering urge to make a
Jabba's Throne Room.  I loved that set, with Jabba atop his pedestal
throne, which coincidentally also acted as a prison with rats and bones
galore.  Anybody else tried this yet?  After the AT-AT this may have to
be my next endeavor!  And a desert skiff done in brown would be great,
as well.

Lessee, can I clip some more time off of my nightly sleep ration?
Shaun

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (The WordMeister) writes:
Technic X-Wing
Technic Darth Vader's TIE Fighter
Battle Droid Minstorms kit
Destroyer Droid Minstorms kit
AT-AT Mindstorms kit
Pit Droid Mindstorms kit
Thanks for the post although I have a hard time believing some of this.  I
just can't see 4 Mindstorms sets (Just for Star Wars no less).  Just seems
like overkill to me and doubt that there would be that many.  As far as the
rest it seems plausable although I have no Idea what the Kaadus would look
like and I would rather see a Model Team X-Wing then a Technic X-Wing.

Yeah, having 4 mindstorms kits and two technic sets sounds a bit much! (not
that I'd complain if it's true!) Maybe it's just 1 or 2 more mindstorms kits
that have multiple models? That'd be kinda like the one that features R2D2 and
the battle droid on STAP. (I forget if that's the developers or discovery kit)
Given that they've only come out with 3 mindstorms-type sets to date (at least
that's all I know of, not counting the mindstorms expansions), it seems kind of
odd that they'd release 4 *Star*Wars* Mindstorms sets all in 1 year... not to
mention the potential *other* genres they might want to follow...

[snippage]