Re: Upcoming Greenberg shows.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 02:08:47 GMT

Well I think I finally came up with a layout that maximizes our space.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/Layout/GreenburgNov02/threeloop6b.gif
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/Layout/GreenburgNov02/threeloop6b-spec.gif

I've listed below all of the design desecions that I used in this layout.
Do to the fact that I am very anal with these types of designs the list is
quite long, but very well thought out.  For every model on the layout, I've
made sure that the entrance was facing a road, the MOC fits in the space,
and that the MOC isn't obstructing any other MOCs or trains.

Two Controversial design issues:
1. Tom's and Eric's layouts are next to each other.  Although there is a way
to seperate them, having them next to each other creates a huge town section
which should make people stop and stare.  I'm picuturing kids standing there
trying to see everything little detail only to find more around another corner.

2. My large amusement park MOC could have been located closer to the road,
gaining more space for rides.  By placing the MOC where it did, I can leave
its table unattached from the layout during setup.  With the table detached
we should be able to reach sections F5-H6, since this area of the layout is
more than four baseplates away from the outer edge.  I don't think many
people are going to be able to reach it with the amusement park table in place.

As a side bonus, with the amusement park detached we can more easily set up
the various rides.  We had problems setting up last time.

Highlights:
1. The Town
- The creation of a very large town by combining Eric's and Tom's MOCs.
- The town has space for another Main St style building. (U9)
- Tom's Main St doesn't require the removing of any tiles.
- Tom's Main St has space for future expansion.
- Eric's Main St now includes his train station.
- Eric's Main St has space for an additional 16x32 building. (Q3)
- Shuan's barn is located to allow viewing of the interior details.
- Shuan's barn has more open space. (V9-V10)
- The Hospital is positioned for better viewing of the interior details.
- The Hospital doesn't have any blocked windows.
- The Factory is removed from the town proper, but is still connected.
- The Factory has its own siding track.

2. The Gorge
- Chris's Gorge is protruding out from the layout to help draw attention.
- The protrusion will increase the size of the inner hole as well.
- The Gorge's bridges and tracks are all in the same location.
- There is now a large damn and road crossing along the back edge.

3. The Railyard and other sidings.
- A small, but dense railyard was added to the middle of the layout.
- The railyard is accessible from the center hole of the layout.
- Trains can easily be added and removed from the center hole.
- Trucks can access trains in the railyard from the road plates.
- 76 sections of siding are evenly spread out around the layout.
- 76 sections is 20 more than we had last time
- There is also an additional 12 sections of unused connection track when
running three loops at the same time.
- The siding are positioned to allow better viewing of the trains.

4. Multiple loops
- There are now 3 loops
- Trains can move freely from one loop to another.
- Using an RCX, two magnetic sensors, and two powered switches, all of the
loops can be combined to create a single gigaintic loop.  Might even be able
to run more than one train on the same loop.

<keep going>

5. The Amusment park
- A new location allows better viewing of the rides.
- There is additional space for new ridings
- Amusement park has two sidings for circus or carnival trains.
- A train platform has been added.
- A parking lot has been added.

6. A Second town
- This town will be a mix between industrial and a high rise buildings.
- I now have space to build a high rise Main St MOC.
- I've included Tom's second Fire station.
- Tom's fire station is accessible so Tom can pick up his fire engines.
- Shaun's warehouse is located next to the rail yard.
- Shaun's warehouse could be connected to a siding track. (loading dock)
- Shaun's landscape is now the town commons.
- Shaun's burning building is located on an T intersection to allow more
fire trucks.  I think the scene for this show should be the fire fighters
picking up after the fire has died down.  And the March show should have a
demolishion team tearing it down or rebulding it.

<Almost there>

7. Other goodies.
- Eric's church is located near the lake for romantic outdoor weddings.
- Jorge's light house is now on two baseplates.
(no more hanging over the gorge)
- My Cape house over looks the gorge.
- Tom's water tower has a new location.
(I didn't want it too close to the edge)
- The train controllers are placed on the layout.

<finally done>

FYI - it took me over two hours to write all this.  I hope it didn't take
that long to read.

Jonathan D.

PS here are some other designs as well. (Since I don't like these as much
and because it takes so long to write it, I'll let them speak for themselves)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/Layout/GreenburgNov02/threeloop6.gif
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/Layout/GreenburgNov02/threeloop5c.gif
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/Layout/GreenburgNov02/threeloop4d.gif
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/Layout/GreenburgNov02/threeloop3b.gif