Re: Upcoming Greenberg shows.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 03:36:14 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Jonathan Dallas writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
Personally I think this is my best effort yet.  Please let me know what you
think.

I agree.  I like the openness and the fact that there is 112 sections of
siding track.  I don't think I can compete with that, but I'll try. :-)

OK this is my try #4 and possibly my last try until we talk about it more at a
meeting.  This is actually nearly the same as #3 in terms of MOC location but I
made some modifications to the sidings.

http://www.nelug.org/layout/3x6layout4.GIF

Bad form responding to one's own posts but I just noticed and electrical goof.
I inadvertently included a reversing loop.  It won't affect any MOC's but I
will need to move or eliminate one or two switches.  No big deal but I didn't
want anyone calling me on it before I owned up to my boo-boo.

Eric

Here is the parts list.

http://www.nelug.org/layout/parts.GIF

I havn't been to concerned about part counts because it isn't like we can't
afford them if we want them.

Highlights.

Lots of sidings, lots of open slots for MOC's, Only straight track goes over
straight road, several operating options, again there are no half baseplates
which simplifies things in my mind.

Potential problems.

The 2 inner loops have several turns in them.  This was a compromise in order
to have several connections between the loops and to allow for the option of
running a larger inner loop instead of the 2 smaller inner loops.  This could
also be seen as a good thing in it adds some randomness to the path of the
trains.  I did, very slightly, increase the size of the 3rd loop.  The size of
the 3rd loop does not worry me as I think we can have a fair sized train on it
without getting the "chasing its own tail" look.  Besides it is one more train
than we could run before.

I really like the fact that some space for MOC's has opened up with this
option.   Plus the large MOC's have been spread out to balance out the layout.

Comments welcome as always

Eric Kingsley