Re: Upcoming Greenberg shows.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:30:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
I really like this layout. I also don't have an issue with larger fair
grounds :)

One thing I wanted to throw out there to see if people are still interested
in doing it, is the idea of a subway. Like La Gorge, this would be a sunken
table, BUT it would also have a full, normal-height top so it would not
affect the 'regular' part of the layout in any way. I think this would be
really cool.

I agree that if done right it would be really cool.  Plus it would add yet
another running train.  I think your concern over visibility is valid though.
One nice thing is we now have plenty of sewer/subway rats thanks to Harry
Potter to add realism. :-)

Concern: with a regular top of plywood, would the subway be visible enough?
Potential Solution: perhaps the top is made out of plexiglas, so whatever is
not directly covered, would allow visitors to see through to the subway (can
you say, 'x-ray vision?')

On another topic, I'm wondering about Shaun's burnt out buildings. IIRC,
their 'ruined' sides don't work well together (they're both oriented in the
same direction). Since, personally, I'm a big fan of having a 'story'
associated with things on the layout, we definitely should use one to show
off Tom's newly redesigned fire engines. This means we're going to need some
amount of space for them to put out the fire, which the layout can already
accommodate. As for the other burnt out building, I'm thinking that if it
doesn't play well with the fire scene, perhaps we can move it a bit and
create a demolition scene where they're in the process of tearing down the
building. We could even create a little sign that says something like,
"NELUG World Headquarters, Coming Soon."

These are both good ideas...

Either that, or we create the slum section of town with crack addicts, gangs
and prostitutes ;)

Well if nothing else this is one sure way to show that we are NOT sponsored by
TLC... :)

OK Here is my try number 3.

http://www.nelug.org/layout/3x6layout3.GIF

Eric Kingsley