Re: Upcoming Greenberg shows.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:59:43 GMT

I really like this layout. I also don't have an issue with larger fair
grounds :)

One thing I wanted to throw out there to see if people are still interested
in doing it, is the idea of a subway. Like La Gorge, this would be a sunken
table, BUT it would also have a full, normal-height top so it would not
affect the 'regular' part of the layout in any way. I think this would be
really cool.

Concern: with a regular top of plywood, would the subway be visible enough?
Potential Solution: perhaps the top is made out of plexiglas, so whatever is
not directly covered, would allow visitors to see through to the subway (can
you say, 'x-ray vision?')

On another topic, I'm wondering about Shaun's burnt out buildings. IIRC,
their 'ruined' sides don't work well together (they're both oriented in the
same direction). Since, personally, I'm a big fan of having a 'story'
associated with things on the layout, we definitely should use one to show
off Tom's newly redesigned fire engines. This means we're going to need some
amount of space for them to put out the fire, which the layout can already
accommodate. As for the other burnt out building, I'm thinking that if it
doesn't play well with the fire scene, perhaps we can move it a bit and
create a demolition scene where they're in the process of tearing down the
building. We could even create a little sign that says something like,
"NELUG World Headquarters, Coming Soon."

Either that, or we create the slum section of town with crack addicts, gangs
and prostitutes ;)

- Joe

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Thomas Duggan writes:

I think it spreads everything out a bit more, so that one end isnt
overcrowded while the other is bare.
Plus It's a minimum of tile moving for me!

OK Here is my try number 3.

http://www.nelug.org/layout/3x6layout3.GIF

Here are the highlights.

1.  I have used a Model Railroading convention here.  The roads don't have • to
connect on the layout, you just imagine that they connect somewhere off • the
layout.  This gives us more room to use.

2.  There isn't a single half baseplate, we are back to all 32x32's

3.  The amusement park no longer has a road going through it.  I don't • know if
the amusement park folks like this or not but it is bigger in overall • acreage.
I call this area the "fair grounds".

4.  There are 2 sidings that I consider optional, or that could be • shortened.
One of these is a very long spur that ends in the lower left.  The other • is in
the "fair grounds".

5.  There is a fair amount of open space for additional MOC's.

6.  There are additional connections connecting the 3 loops, this adds
flexibility.

Some issues.

1.  Tom needs to make sure the tracks running behind his main street are • not to
close and that clearance won't be a problem.

2.  This is a radical change in the size and openness of the "fair • grounds" so
I don't know if people will like that or not.

Personally I think this is my best effort yet.  Please let me know what • you
think.

Eric Kingsley