 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6708
6707  |  6709
Subject:
...I almost peed! (Or: VIDEO of the most amazing thing ever)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 00:32:46 GMT

So I went with 3 of my coworkers to Assembly Canada, an automation show at
the International Centre that was on today and yesterday, in Toronto.  I
spent almost 2 hours at Stelron's booth.  I just stood there.

In shock.

In awe.

In absolute amazement.  My buddies from work left and had lunch, came back,
and I was still there.  Just watching.  Talking with the guys from Stelron
(who were totally awesome!)  They let me take some video when they found out
how interested I was.

http://www.coasters2k.com/misc/Stelron.mpg

( http://www.stelron.com <-- their site.)

The pallets are absolutely incredible.  They slowed the system down (by
dialing back the rheostat - the entire thing, pick and place units, pallets,
everything, are all driven from one motor) and I watched the corners...
Each section of the pallet conveyor is offset 90 degrees of the phase, so
each one moves during it's 90 degrees of the cycle.

Here is the most amazing part, perhaps.  Look at the corner of the pallets -
they're filleted.  The 90 degree thing?  It's actually a little more than 90
degrees.  Which means, as one pallet is moving away, the next one slides in,
*FOLLOWING THAT FILLET EXACTLY.*

IT IS ABSOLUTELY THE MOST INCREDIBLE THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE.

They were running it at 122 cycles per minute, but they said it doesn't
really have a limit and they've done 180 before (3 cycles/second).

    Iain