 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4972
Re: rtlToronto13: rtlToronto/castle1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 19:20:17 GMT

Awesome idea Mario/Calum!!!  I like it!
After recently watching a TLC program on ballistics, I was
thinking about a LEGO trebouchet as well.  Maybe that's what
inspired Mario too?

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft writes:
That's a cool idea, I like, I'd do that.  I'd allow RCXs, but not
require them.  The make good counter weights. :-)

Personal I prefer the episode of Nova were they built two full size
trebuchets and fired them at a mock up of a castle wall.  Man that was
cool to watch.  The guy that fires pianos and small cars with his
backyard trebuchet is also cool.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostempires/trebuchet/

Instead of tires, which will be inherently unstable areodynamicly, it
would be nice to fire something spherical.  Lego soccer balls?

How about 1 or 2 standard 2x4 bricks?  I think it would also depend
on whether or not we actually want to DAMAGE the castle, or not.
The wheel hub could cause damage, but not the soccer ball.
The bricks would likely have dented edges at the end though.
Not to mention dents in the castle's walls :)

I would open up the contest to any siege weapon that fired a spherical
projectile.  Although the trebuchet was by far the most efficient.

Absolutely!  Then, we could see catapults, trebouchets, and maybe
cross-bow style weapons too (using rubber bands or technic springs).
That would be far more interesting and provide more variety IMHO.

John

Calum Tsang wrote:

Hi folks,

This is an idea from Mario "I'm Too Busy To Post" DeFacendis for
rtlToronto13 (uh, sometime in March 2003):  We do the trebuchet game as
featured in Junkyard Wars.

-A castle is set up at the far end of the library room which is the target
for the launchers.
-The launcher can only be a certain size (18" by 18")
-The goal is to drop an object (a tire without rim) into the perimeter of
the castle.
-As the day goes on, you get more distance and the perimeter of the castle
gets smaller and smaller.
-Extra points if you destroy the castle walls :)

0 RCX limit :)

Nervous Organizer Comments:  Insurance at Lillian H Smith.  Marking up the
ceiling.  Ow, my eye.

Now returning you to your scheduled the rtlToronto11: The Bruce and Chris
Show...

Calum