 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3875
Re: lube experiment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 16:35:51 GMT

It doesn't prove anything, Chris.  I have two objections to your "test":

I never did this to PROVE CONCLUSIVELY one theory or another.  I even
stated that it was a VERY INFORMAL "test"

-Worm to 24t is a very simple gear mechanism.  You know as well as I do that
friction doesn't build up with only two gears.

!!!!WHAT!!!!!  did you really study engineering at U ot T?????
AGRH!!!!  you are so lucky small children MIGHT be reading cause I was
about to say some VERY un-lego like things!

:)

BTW i liked that dinner last night.  too bad we cant use that restaurant
for our regular lego meetings.

(this was said to prove that calum and i are very good friends off line)

-Worm to 24t is a very simple gear mechanism.

YES, it is.  it also causes friction AND more importantly. it was this
VERY MECHANISM, that I used for my gripper and it was this VERY
MECHANISM that created the most dust in my robot and it was a part from
this VERY MECHANISM that wore away so badly that I had to retire said
part.  So in my opinion this was a great test.

now, granted I did not run that gear train for 8 days continuously,
against a non greased gear train.  but it proved to my simple mind that
there was no significant difference between the two.

I am also aware that the lego speed counter is not a high precision
device. and it probably has at best a resolution** that matches the
rotation sensor, but my point is still the same.   IF there is no
significant difference between lubed and non lubed gear trains, and a
clear advantage of less dust is a by product then what is your objection
to preventative lubing of lego??

Chris

** has anyone -- in RTLToronto or not -- taken apart the lego speed
counter to see what kind of guts it has?  at a guess, I'd bet the guts
to the "sensor" are exactly like the rotation sensor, just because they
(lego) would have a ready supply, and the head end is a dedicated pic,
or something similar.