 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3907
Re: lube experiment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 20:16:20 GMT

Chris Magno wrote:

All this talk about Lube, got me to think......

So I decided to do a small experiment.

Everyone knows that I am a fan of measuring the speed of  my lego
motors.  i use the official lego speed counter.

here is what i did and found:

I took a worm to 24 T combo and put it on the counter.  the reading was
20 rpm

I then went on a quest for the Vaseline. I proceeded to lubricate all
the parts of the worm to 24T combo, and put it back on the counter.

the reading was the same.

this is a VERY informal test.  but it initially should prove to calum
that a drop of preventative maintenance lube will not "significantly"
change the speed of a gear train.

Really to be a valid test you should put the worm to 24T under load.  This
is when a performance difference will show up.  However it could be tricky
to setup.  The simplest way would be to lift a weight a fixed distance.
Use string (non-lego if you like :-) ) and a pulley.  Do it with lubed and
unlubed gear trains.  Time the lift and see if there is any difference.
Increase the weight in increments, to see if there is a point where the
performance between the two gear trains diverges.

Derek