 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3906
Re: lube....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 19:39:22 GMT

know from talking to Chris that he fully understood the damaging effect his robot
had on his pieces.  Pieces like the tiles he was sliding on, to the axle joiners he
would periodically bust.  He excepted this as a consequence of his design and was
willing to accept the damage being done to his parts.

Yes, Derek, I also said this.  BUT do not take this to mean that I WANT
to destroy parts.   I had to make a choice.  The choice i made was
known.  My building style is different for others.  Once i have a
working design, I am hard pressed to change it.  that's what happened
this time.  I had a working robot and I was not about to risk
re-designing something, for want of a 90 degree axle turn thingy.   IF a
smudge of Vaseline would have stopped that, then what's the harm??   a
drop of Vaseline would not have reduced my time 4 more seconds.

No I don't think anyone wants to intentionally break parts.  Well they might but that's
their problem. :-)  And I should clarify that I don't think a design that damages parts
is a poor design if its getting the job done.  You did a lot better then me at this
contest.

However if conservation of parts is a concern, then there are ways to reduce ware and
tare without reaching for a bottle of slippery goo.  I think these avenues should be
explored first.  In most situations I don't think there is a desperate need to use lube.

The idea of having Lego contests, is to have a Lego contests.  Until there is a
bottle of lubricant that is an official Lego product for the purpose of lubricating
Lego parts, then using lubricant is not normal Lego construction and shouldn't be
allowed.

Derek, this is a strange thing to say considering your robot had about 4
miles of non lego string.  IF we were going by what you just said,
THEN,   only lego string should be allowed.   and IF lego only makes 10"
long bits of string, then that's all you would have access to.

True I used string in the last contest that was not manufactured by lego.  However I was
told by you and Calum that you would excepted Lego like string as a substitute to the
often difficult to get Lego string.  I think of all the string being used mine was
probably the most like Lego string.

I think the exception in this case is quite reasonable.  You are substituting something
that exists in the Lego universe of parts that is tricky and expensive to get with a
common place substitute.  I could get enough Lego string to work with my bot.  Actually I
probably have enough right now.  But it would be damaging to it to have to splice it all
together or remove it from the parts its currently attached to.   (Don't keep my sets
separated, but I always want to be able to reproduce them.  Detaching string from parts
confuses this issue.)

This seems to be a reasonable exception because its a direct outside replacement for an
existing part.  As far as I know there is no Lego lube.

my other point was to ask if others could think of a nice way to lube
their parts.   without permanently having all the lego feel greasy, and
sending gobs of lube into the robot as your motor spins up.

But really when it comes down to it this is my only objection to lube.  It's just gross.
I don't care if it gives a performance advantage or not, I just don't want icky greasy
lego all over the place. :-P

Really I'm not going to complain if someone shows up with a bot that's dripping with
grease and oil.  But I will scrunch up my face and go "ew".

Derek