 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17526
Re: lube experiment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 04:31:57 GMT

While Janey and I were discussing Lube's of one kind or another, we
found this old thread.

http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=3831

It would seem I can now recall WHY I have a worm to 24t sub assembly all
covered with vaseline.  After almost 5 years of on and off use, this one
sub assembly  that I had done my little "experiment" on has held up
rather well.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/magno/Lubricant/dsc00004.jpg

During the last hobby show, I ran my "go round" for 3 days, and as you
can see, not a bit of dust, nor is there any wear. compare that to this
same worm to 24t gear that was purpose built for one MOC that Janey
needed animated:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/magno/Lubricant/dsc00005.jpg

Not only is there a plethora of dust, but their are now 4 parts that are
about 1 - 2mm smaller.

Vaseline, does not seem to deteriorate the ABS.  I will never be able to
take apart that assembly.

Chris

Calum Tsang wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
this is a VERY informal test.  but it initially should prove to calum
that a drop of preventative maintenance lube will not "significantly"
change the speed of a gear train.

It doesn't prove anything, Chris.  I have two objections to your "test":

-Worm to 24t is a very simple gear mechanism.  You know as well as I do that
friction doesn't build up with only two gears.

-The viscosity of the Vaseline probably causes more trouble than any
lubricating effects, especially if you glopped it with the stuff.

I invite you to try a REAL test if you want to prove any difference in
performance-ie, a larger complex of gears, something other than Vaseline.

As a side note, now you have two gears, 2 angle frames, and several bushings
now covered in Vaseline.  I personally have more objection to trying to get
Vaseline out of my Lego than dust.

Calum