 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3861
Re: lube....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:52:01 GMT

Matthias,

Your points are valid and i could not explain them better.

Thank you.

This topic has a  few grey areas.

Chris himself has told me that
there really isn't that much destruction once you blow the dust off.

Yes, Calum I did tell you this.  And for the most part it is true. Only
one part was so badly worn that I would not use it in THAT
application.    other parts had mild wear.  I could never sell those
bricks as new.  big whoop.  BUT without going into a whole design change
i would lie to  do it again with a drop of lube.

know from talking to Chris that he fully understood the damaging effect his robot
had on his pieces.  Pieces like the tiles he was sliding on, to the axle joiners he
would periodically bust.  He excepted this as a consequence of his design and was
willing to accept the damage being done to his parts.

Yes, Derek, I also said this.  BUT do not take this to mean that I WANT
to destroy parts.   I had to make a choice.  The choice i made was
known.  My building style is different for others.  Once i have a
working design, I am hard pressed to change it.  that's what happened
this time.  I had a working robot and I was not about to risk
re-designing something, for want of a 90 degree axle turn thingy.   IF a
smudge of Vaseline would have stopped that, then what's the harm??   a
drop of Vaseline would not have reduced my time 4 more seconds.

The idea of having Lego contests, is to have a Lego contests.  Until there is a
bottle of lubricant that is an official Lego product for the purpose of lubricating
Lego parts, then using lubricant is not normal Lego construction and shouldn't be
allowed.

Derek, this is a strange thing to say considering your robot had about 4
miles of non lego string.  IF we were going by what you just said,
THEN,   only lego string should be allowed.   and IF lego only makes 10"
long bits of string, then that's all you would have access to.

BUT NO!!

we allow the use of SOME non lego parts for the sheer joy of seeing
great robots like yours and Robs.  I for one was not about to disallow
your style robot 4 months ago, because I wanted to see it.

My original point was to ....(well never mind)

my other point was to ask if others could think of a nice way to lube
their parts.   without permanently having all the lego feel greasy, and
sending gobs of lube into the robot as your motor spins up.

Lastly,  Calum, and we have talk about this before, IF you win one of
our contests by doping, then you still win.... NOTHING.

Chris
Lube  :)