 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17539
Re: lube experiment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 00:38:22 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
On 14-Nov-07, at 11:31 PM, Chris Magno wrote:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/magno/Lubricant/dsc00004.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/magno/Lubricant/dsc00005.jpg

I don't think vaseline on the lens prevents wear on the gear train.

Derek

Giggle, oh Derek made a funny!

Janey "I'm just relieved by why I found vaseline on the Lego, Red Brick"

Eh-Oh!!!  Family Show!!

K, let's all pause for a moment and picture what Janey might be inferring...

Ewwww.....

Dave K

Hey, you!!! Dont try to get me in trouble!!! Giggle.

Me?  Infer anything? Surely you jest.

And in total honesty, the night before the Hobby Show, while sitting at his
building table, going over all of our moving mocs, I really truly did (most
innocently) wonder, what in heck was all over his worm gear config.

I personally was leaning toward graphite myself... and then I recalled an
incident from years prior.  We had just bought our very first BRAND NEW vehicle
which was lovely and pristine... but the passenger seat belt do-hicky (yeah,
thats the real name of it) was... err... stiff.

Before the (not so) S.O. attacked it with some WD40, I implored him to wait, and
allow me to use graphite powder instead.  Well long story short... a few drops
of WD40 on the seat would have been preferable to the huge black stain we ended
up getting when the tube of graphite powder "exploded" all over the place due to
a clogged knob.

POUT. Oh well, live and learn.

Anyhow, now after the 5 year experiment has shown me that vaseline has not
killed the innocent Lego, I'm convinced its preferable to the graphite, although
I am still tempted to try other alternatives, such as the HO lube Iain mentioned
from those 5 year old posts... or perhaps something like cornstarch.

Janey "Wow, I kept the lube post clean, Red Brick"

(almost)

P.S. It would be interesting to have others jump in, years after their original
posts, and report on how the Lego they lubricated has faired over time.

As well, (somewhat related) it would be interesting to know how Lego has faired
(ex. ageing, colouring, brittle vs. remaining flexible issues) over time that
have had various other products used on it for cleaning, modification or repair,
(such as Brasso, bleach, other household cleaners, etc.)

I have had mixed results on various different pieces, most have been fantastic,
but I have had a few not so successful.

For example, the homemaker cupboards have done extremely well after an intense
chemical bath, but their doors (which are much thinner, and perhaps made from a
more flexible compound) not so well, (if exposed for long periods to my
household chemical concoctions.)