 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3846
Re: lube....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 00:07:06 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:

In all seriousness, when was the last time *you* built something so large,
complex, and mechanically elaborate that created dust? Trains have their own

Four days ago at rtl10, thank you.  Our entry was covered in plastic dust.

I destroyed about 8 parts total at rtl8, several of which I could have
spared and re-used with a drop of lubrication. I've mutilated an entire
turntable because of not lubricating it. All of my turntables are lubricated
now. As someone who tries to be careful with his money, and his investment
in LEGO, I insist that *PREVENTATIVE CARE* must be permitted.

The difference is that while one may call it preventative care, others may
call it competitive advantage.  I do not wish to get into what lubrications
are allowed etc, same as some suggested various formulations and chemicals
to treat tires for sumo.

Why should one person be allowed to decide how much LEGO we destroy at the
next competition? If you enforce this blatantly without any discussion, I'm
going to be very, very cross.

First, a ban of oil or other lubricants is not to determine how much Lego
you destroy, but not to give anyone else an advantage.  Making the argument
for using lubricants as preventative is weak.  In the same mindset, we don't
allow battery box hammers or arcing track points not because we don't want
you breaking those components, it's because it gives an
uncontrollable/immeasurable advantage to someone.

I invite you to be cross.   Somewhere we draw a line, and often those lines
are drawn without public debate.  Sort of the line Chris drew about
strategic folding for rtl10-he just said, screw it, no one gets to call
their X early without finishing the X, though it was thoroughly valid strategy.

One word: Deal.  Don't come if you don't like a no lubrication rule.

Calum