 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10298
Re: ply vs turn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:39:31 GMT

Derek Raycraft wrote:

Calum Tsang wrote:

Ties.   Derek brought this up.  Do we need to think about ties?

Here are the problems I see with ties:

1. I think we are going to see a lot of ties.
2. If two robots tie, they are very likely to tie exactly the same way
if they play again.

Derek

here are the problems I KNOW!
no one has proposed a way to fairly, accurately, and consistently score
this game KEEPING IN MIND that we don't know if we will have 5 robots, or
18 robots show up.

AS WELL

we know that with "good" software this is a first move win game, ergo, we
cant fairly eliminate someone cause they lost a coin toss.

The only place that a tie can happen in in the second round, with the
FINAL FOUR (tm)

and if after 2 games, both players tie, then they will ALWAYS tie, and
they BOTH deserve that slot of 1 through 4.

A LOT of thought went into the current elimination tree, and is the best
fit considering all the variables.

- will we have 5 robots, or 18 robots show up.
- how to keep this exciting, if we have more than 4 robots....

ect.

Chris
There's no 'I' in 'team'.  There's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'.