 Off-Topic / Fun / 768
Re: SEV2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 03:24:33 GMT

<36B3A268.14E3D21F@voyager.net> <F6EL0A.zJ@lugnet.com>

Steven Vore wrote:

. _A Fire
Upon The Deep_ is particularly good, dealing as it does with an
intergalactic net, complete with newsgroups and flamers, posers and
misinformation and posturing. And that's just a backdrop for the real
story.

Try David Brin's "Earth" - Brin's description of the way that [what we call
'the Net'] evolves into over the next 50 years or so is fantastic.  It's
(relatively) easy to write about SF technology 100 or 1000 years in the
future, but getting it plausible-sounding in the fairly near future it a lot
tougher.  I think Brin's done an excellent job.

Agreed. I am a voracious SF reader and once I find someone I like that I
haven't heard of before, I buy everything they ever wrote and chew
through it in short order.

I had discovered Brin before _Earth_ came out so it was on my auto-buy
list as soon as it came out in paperback. I've read it several times and
still find neat stuff in it. Brin's _The Postman_ is destined to be a
classic post-apocalyptic. It still brings tears to my eyes, and I must
have read it a good 6 times by now. I LOVE the uplift concept.

At least the following authors are on my auto-buy list (note that I
don't necessarily like all of them as much, but I blow through a typical
novel on one flight, or at most two, so it's tough to find stuff to
read)

Anderson, Asimov, Bear, Benford, Brin, Card, Clarke, Dickson, Feintuch,
Heinlein (the very first, when I was 12), Hogan (Met him in my computers
and society class, long long ago, he was still at DEC then) Niven,
Pournelle, Saberhagen, Silverberg, both Vinge's, Zahn, Zelazny and at
least 30 more that I can't recall at the moment.

People I don't really like as much:

Piers Anthony, Cherryth, McCaffery, Alan Dean Foster, Stephen R.
Donaldson, David Drake, and most especially William Shatner.

All of these guys seem to milk a good idea into a series of interminable
length, or puff up a bad idea into a big book.

There are a few authors that used to be on my list that I now avoid
because they've gone hacky, too, and I tend to avoid stuff like ST, SW
and B5 novelizations, much less stuff like MtG or RoboTech.

your mileage may vary.

++Lar