 Off-Topic / Fun / 769
Re: SEV2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 03:31:24 GMT

<36B3A268.14E3D21F@voyager.net> <F6EuCp.A3x@lugnet.com>

Sproaticus wrote:

but I like books that don't seem to go on forever
without any sort of satisfactory resolution, answer to the questions
posited, or point. So I didn't care for those much.

So you're definitely *not* a Dune fan, eh?

Liked the first one, it was one of the best and most detailed ecologies
I had run across till then. Tolerated the second and third, then gave
up. I don't much care for Herbert's other stuff either. He was a one
shot author, perhaps.

Speaking of Vinge I think you might like her ex, Vernor Vinge. _A Fire
Upon The Deep_ is particularly good, dealing as it does with an
intergalactic net, complete with newsgroups and flamers, posers and
misinformation and posturing. And that's just a backdrop for the real
story.

The only satisfactory "future internet" book I've ever read was _The Long Run_
by Daniel Keys Moran, but that's really because of the politics involved with
the story.  Everything else in this genre I've read is just hyped-up cheap
hack fluff.  Even the "cyberpuke" segment of _Hyperion_ was slow and
forgettable.  Having said that, I should add that you've sparked my
curiousity, and I will seek _A Fire Upon The Deep_.

Fire upon the Deep uses the internet to make opening chapter points and
side notes but the main thrust of the book is much deeper. The notion
that physical laws can vary from one place to another in the galaxy,
thus having a profound effect on levels of sentience (and speed of
travel) possible is one that I don't think I'd ever seen anywhere else
before EVER.

I love Card (1),

Card is great. His latest "memory of earth" series got a bit logorheaic,
though. That story could have been told in about 2-3 books instead of
5-6. Ditto for the last Alvin Maker. A big book about a trial? Please.
Move along, please. Still he's on my buy everything list.

Larry Niven, *very* early Heinlein.

Niven except for RingWorld, Heinlien up to Stranger with one or two
after that. Liked number of the beast but he was blathering by then. Too
bad, really.