 Off-Topic / Fun / 774
773  |  775
Subject:
Books (was Re: SEV2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 22:31:37 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote ...
Sproaticus wrote:

Card is great. His latest "memory of earth" series got a bit logorheaic,
though. That story could have been told in about 2-3 books instead of
5-6.

It seems to me that more & more authors these days are falling into this
trap.  I wonder how much of this is publisher-induced.  "Hey, the first two
sold like hotcakes, let's keep this thing going and milk it for all it's
worth!"

Niven except for RingWorld, Heinlien up to Stranger with one or two
after that. Liked number of the beast but he was blathering by then. Too
bad, really.

Number was my first intro to RAH, oh so many years ago (enough that I found
it a book that I couldn't show my parents - maybe that was part of the idea
:-).  Came back to it a couple of summers ago and read all his works in
order, an interesting experience to say the least.  "Blathering" is a good
word for it.  I've referred to it as "the RAH left-turn" as in "the book was
cruising along nicely, then he took a left turn off a cliff!"

--
Steven | svore at mindspring .com | kf4fbk | TC++MS++#15LS+M+HalYB64m