 Off-Topic / Fun / 765
Re: SEV2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 06:07:37 GMT

Larry Pieniazek writes:
Call me quaint

Hi, Quaint!  :-,

but I like books that don't seem to go on forever
without any sort of satisfactory resolution, answer to the questions
posited, or point. So I didn't care for those much.

So you're definitely *not* a Dune fan, eh?

Speaking of Vinge I think you might like her ex, Vernor Vinge. _A Fire
Upon The Deep_ is particularly good, dealing as it does with an
intergalactic net, complete with newsgroups and flamers, posers and
misinformation and posturing. And that's just a backdrop for the real
story.

The only satisfactory "future internet" book I've ever read was _The Long Run_
by Daniel Keys Moran, but that's really because of the politics involved with
the story.  Everything else in this genre I've read is just hyped-up cheap
hack fluff.  Even the "cyberpuke" segment of _Hyperion_ was slow and
forgettable.  Having said that, I should add that you've sparked my
curiousity, and I will seek _A Fire Upon The Deep_.

To level set you, I like Card and Brin and Heinlien (except for his last
few ravers...). Niven and Pournelle to me are better together than they
are separately.

I love Card (1), Larry Niven, *very* early Heinlein.  (2)  Niven and Pournelle
books seem to read like something by Robert L. Forward:  conceptually
interesting, but lacking in the story.

One author I forgot to mention is Mark Twain.  He's not generally regarded as
science fiction, but a lot of the themes in his books have the same basic
feeling as today's sci-fi.  (3)  And he's a *great* read.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  For many good reasons, besides the fact that we're both Mormons.

2.  My dad's a Heinlein fan, dislikes most Niven.  I'm a Niven fan, dislike
most Heinlein.  I wonder if liking one typically means you don't like the
other...

3.  Quite probably because Twain is usually pretty good to steal a story from.

4.  Long message, eh?  I think I've hit a nerve.  :-,