 Off-Topic / Fun / 4773
Re: Peasants and armies..the games
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:31:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Stiles writes:
unfortunately I can't tell you offhand what sort of games the Castle folk
would have played, need to do a bit of research on that.  They probably all
dance a lot, though.  Dancing was a great social activity for all classes.

Games from 500 to 1649 AD were of the following:
Hoodman's Bluff; the same as blindmans bluff

Hot Cockles:A Lady or GEntleman kneels and is blindfolded. The other
participants take turns hititng the person over the head, trying to knock the
blindfolded person over until the blindfolded person can identify the • agressors

Mummings: Skits or plays put on by peasents, roles of women were palyed by men
         Cockfights: A nasty pastime where fowl fought

Masques: costume balls that originated under the rule of Henry VIII
Ballon or Windball: Handball palyed with an inflated bladder
Bull or Bear Baiting
Checkers or Draughts
Chess
Dice
Pall-mall (early form of croquet)

Also common, in a more martial bent, for those of you with armies to entertain
<grin>...

Pells - knights and squires would ride at a dummy that simulates an opponent,
and attempt to catch small rings (4 inch diameter, or so) on their lances, or
attempt to cut off it's "head" with swords, typically at a full gallop.

Joust - a very formalized sort of mounted combat, with blunted lances.

Tourney - typically on foot, men would fight for a prize, often a reward of
land, or martial items (a well-made great helm, or a spanish steel blade,
etc).  Weapons would occaisionally be blunted for these, but not often.

Melee - a type of tourney, where all the combatants are on the field at the
same time, instead of being paired off by lot.

Also various atheletic competitions, mostly footraces, feats of strength and
the like.

And in the way of children, many of todays games are older than we think...

Hide & seek, tag, mumbly-peg, "circle games" (things like duck duck goose -
the rules change, but the games are mostly the same)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
I'm getting paid for this --> alladvantage.com
Sign up via me, the reference $$ go to fund Lugnet.