 Off-Topic / Fun / 4770
Re: Peasants and armies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 06:08:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Shiri Dori wrote:
I always got bad grades--ennui, mostly, but also really bad depth perception.

Same here - except that I claimed to be after an asthma attack - just this
morning, y'know! - and the teachers never knew... (shush! don't tell! :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm having so much fun in my current Lifetime
class. We did badminton, it was excellent! (Badminton, as are Baseball and
American football, is literally nonexistent in Israel.)

I keep trying to figure out how the shape of the shuttlecock (stop
chuckling!) came
to be--I'm sure there are histories of badminton, but I really don't want to
go
looking for them.

Well, this one coulda been the trail and error... errordynamics, that is ;-)

(Check out the Anguish Language thingie Bram posted in .pun :)

It's more fun to muse over it, sort of like "how on earth did
the Japanese ever figure out which cubic inch of the blowfish was safe to
eat?"
(Please don't say "trial and error.")

LOL! Sounds like one of the theories we make up in my (previous) school on
them 4-day field trips (1). One time, a few kids in my class managed to
explain how come forward is left from down, and also why tourists from Israel
always get lost (it's because our right is everybody else's left; So when
someone says "take a left", we actually take a right ;-).

I actually took more PE classes than I was required to, because it was so
nice
to be able to *choose* things I was interested in - instead of tennis, flag
football, basketball, "pickleball"

Huh?!? What the heck is pickleball?

About a buck eighty a jar, and messy. (rim shot)

Aaah...

(which I am convinced exists only in HS gym
classes), and that most evil of "sports", golf(1).

:-)

If it involves plaid, it's not a sport.  If puberty ends your career, it's
not a
sport.  If you sit on an animal, it's not a sport.  If it requires more than
twice
your own mass in equipment, it's not a sport.

I concour!

<snip>
for machoistic (sp?!) egotistic guys who want the cheerleaders ranking for
them

Masochistic or Macho?

Macho ;-)

That's an interesting hybrid, "machoistic"--I like it.  And
I'm not sure they're going after rank cheerleaders (unless of course they
really
*are* masochists!).

I think I meant rooting for them...
OK, this is about the fifth/sixth new word I'm learning today... Damn, I
couldn't learn slower if I was reading a dictionary all day and night...

unfortunately I can't tell you offhand what sort of games the Castle folk
would have played, need to do a bit of research on that.  They probably all
dance a lot, though.  Dancing was a great social activity for all classes.

Yeah... I really need a castle ballroom... And if they wanna dance in the
tavern, they can move all the tables... :-)

Hey, I've got enough yellow 1x1 cones to make a chandelier!  :)

Cool!

-Shiri

(1) Yes, that's right. 4-day field trips are quite common in Israeli high-
schools, you usually have one once a year. My school has real camping,
cooking, hiking trips... not the wimpy "visit old Jerusalem and sleep in a
youth motel" field trips ;-)  (j/k, those are fun too... but the hiking trips
are SO much better).