 Castle / 3439
Re: Peasants and armies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:29:33 GMT

James Brown wrote:
Archers were only more common because any old peasant can shoot a bow. (and
make a bow, and own a bow...)

Well...I disagree with "any old peasant can shoot a bow".  The rest is pretty
accurate, but as for the first, well, there's an old English saying: "If you
want to train an archer, start with his grandfather."  During some periods in
English history, men were *required* to own and practice with bows at least
once a week.

Shooting a longbow well required lots of practice.  (There's a reason guns
replaced them, despite being more complex, more fragile and susceptible to
weather, more expensive, slower...it's because they're so *easy* to use...)

Another fun fact: the (partial) wreck of the HMS Mary Rose, a ship
commissioned
by King Henry VIII of England, was found off the coast of England.  I had the
opportunity to see it when I was in Portsmouth.  The reason I bring this up is
because buried in the silt that preserved half of the ship, the archeologists
found several yew bowstaves encased in wax that preserved them.  It took several
men to get one strung and none of them could draw it.

Several skeletons were also found in the wreckage.  The researchers were able
to determine which men were archers, because the bones of their forearm and
their spine were actually noticably warped from the muscles it took to draw
their bows!

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
My LEGO Web page has moved!  Go to: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura
Check out my Trade List and Want List - * - Last Updated 12/19/1999
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m