 Off-Topic / Fun / 4767
Re: Peasants and armies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 05:52:41 GMT

Shiri Dori wrote:

(FUT .o-t.fun)

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
Archery and Swimming were the only PE sections I could ever get above a C in,

Hmm.. I'm really awful at all sports but I always managed a B- minimum... why,
you ask? Cause I had asthma... So if I did *anything* at all, my teachers
would classify it as 'tried hard, nice efforts'... <grin> ... and here in the
US, my PE classes are on a A, Pass, Fail scale. You get an A if you come to
every class with outfit, participate, etc... (yuck :-)

I always got bad grades--ennui, mostly, but also really bad depth perception.

at least until I hit college and got to do other interesting things (like
yoga,
horseback riding, tai chi, fencing, ballroom dance, juggling, rock
climbing...)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm having so much fun in my current Lifetime
class. We did badminton, it was excellent! (Badminton, as are Baseball and
American football, is literally nonexistent in Israel.)

I keep trying to figure out how the shape of the shuttlecock (stop chuckling!) came
to be--I'm sure there are histories of badminton, but I really don't want to go
looking for them.  It's more fun to muse over it, sort of like "how on earth did
the Japanese ever figure out which cubic inch of the blowfish was safe to eat?"
(Please don't say "trial and error.")

I actually took more PE classes than I was required to, because it was so nice
to be able to *choose* things I was interested in - instead of tennis, flag
football, basketball, "pickleball"

Huh?!? What the heck is pickleball?

About a buck eighty a jar, and messy. (rim shot)

(which I am convinced exists only in HS gym
classes), and that most evil of "sports", golf(1).

:-)

If it involves plaid, it's not a sport.  If puberty ends your career, it's not a
sport.  If you sit on an animal, it's not a sport.  If it requires more than twice
your own mass in equipment, it's not a sport.

I seem to be increasingly off-topic. 8) Maybe I should make a football (that
is, American football) game between the Royal Knights and the Cowpack...

Football, IMHO, is the dumbest sports game alive. I see no point in it except
for machoistic (sp?!) egotistic guys who want the cheerleaders ranking for them

Masochistic or Macho?  That's an interesting hybrid, "machoistic"--I like it.  And
I'm not sure they're going after rank cheerleaders (unless of course they really
*are* masochists!).

unfortunately I can't tell you offhand what sort of games the Castle folk
would have played, need to do a bit of research on that.  They probably all
dance a lot, though.  Dancing was a great social activity for all classes.

Yeah... I really need a castle ballroom... And if they wanna dance in the
tavern, they can move all the tables... :-)

Hey, I've got enough yellow 1x1 cones to make a chandelier!  :)

best

Lindsay