 Off-Topic / Fun / 4758
Re: Peasants and armies..the games
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 01:48:48 GMT

unfortunately I can't tell you offhand what sort of games the Castle folk
would have played, need to do a bit of research on that.  They probably all
dance a lot, though.  Dancing was a great social activity for all classes.

Games from 500 to 1649 AD were of the following:
Hoodman's Bluff; the same as blindmans bluff

Hot Cockles:A Lady or GEntleman kneels and is blindfolded. The other
participants take turns hititng the person over the head, trying to knock the
blindfolded person over until the blindfolded person can identify the agressors

Mummings: Skits or plays put on by peasents, roles of women were palyed by men
          Cockfights: A nasty pastime where fowl fought

Masques: costume balls that originated under the rule of Henry VIII
Ballon or Windball: Handball palyed with an inflated bladder
Bull or Bear Baiting
Checkers or Draughts
Chess
Dice